Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Just had to share... my chicks hatched the other day :D
All 6 Barnevelders hatched... also 1 cross breed from my flock.

They're all so adorable!

Anyone got any tips on sexing Barnevelders? I read somewhere that a line behind their eye can be an indication, but I'm not sure if that is just specific lines of birds that follow that rule...

Just had to share... my chicks hatched the other day :D
All 6 Barnevelders hatched... also 1 cross breed from my flock.

They're all so adorable!

Anyone got any tips on sexing Barnevelders? I read somewhere that a line behind their eye can be an indication, but I'm not sure if that is just specific lines of birds that follow that rule...

I hate to ask, but are you sure they are all pure barnevelders? Only the 2 darkest chicks look to have barnevelder markings. This is what my Barnevelder chicks look like:

Question for the show folks! If you had a 4 lbs pullet with great markings versus a 4 lbs 12 oz pullet with poorer markings (lacing is clear but the black is standing out more than the brown, making her look predominantly black), which will perform better in show?
I signed up for 2 pullets to take to Nationals and am getting them TP tested tomorrow. I know I'm bringing my great marking almost 5 pounder, but it's hard choosing the second. I picked the poorer marked bird in the dark based on feel and weight, but that great marked smaller one is really standing out to me in the daylight and has a great tail set.

I haven't shown yet, but the SOP very clearly states that the bird cannot appear all black. If you can only take one, then take the smaller one with great markings. If you can take both, it might be worth it to get a judges opinion on the lacing on the larger bird.

I haven't shown yet, but the SOP very clearly states that the bird cannot appear all black.  If you can only take one, then take the smaller one with great markings.  If you can take both, it might be worth it to get a judges opinion on the lacing on the larger bird.

Thank you! I ended up choosing the smaller girl and will see what I can about filling her out a bit. :)

I hate to ask, but are you sure they are all pure barnevelders? Only the 2 darkest chicks look to have barnevelder markings. This is what my Barnevelder chicks look like:

Yes they are definitely pure breed. The breeder is very reputable, and I've seen a few of her chicks of that lighter colour who have grown up to be gorgeous!

The difference in colours could just be the difference in lines... especially considering we are from different countries. None of mine have the white chest patch, which i've read is apparently something you can sex them by in some lines.

Hello All, Just joined.
I have started working on breeding Barnies, can anyone tell me what the left chocolate chicks genes are?
Not sure if I should cull it now or wait until it grows up.

Last edited:
Trisha, thank you for the chick pictures,
Amazing how different your chicks are to mine, my chicks come out four different colors (Bark grey, chocolate, brown and yellow)
I am culling the yellow ones, but even my brown chick have far more head markings than yours.

Not sure about the " chocolate" colored chick. It has more of the proper ( dutch ideal) brown helmeted pattern, but seems to lack the stripes on the back. Looks more like a partridge chick that I have seen from breeds like partridge rocks etc.

The dutch say that the eb/ eb birds will be better marked than wild type or Wheaton. It will take awhile to work towards getting all eb / eb chicks. Just band all the chicks that are closest to looking like eb/ eb chicks rather than e+ or Wheaton. Make sure you keep mosly these chicks especially try to keep breeding males from these. you might consider keeping a few " incorrect" chicks if they turn out to have other exceptional traits such as good type, size, egg color, rate of lay. This is up to you, there is more to breeding good birds than just color and you don't want to cull important traits in the process of correcting color etc. But, the more of these off colored chicks you keep, the longer it will take to get chicks all of the same genetics.

Trisha

I haven't posted many pictures on here lately. So I'd thought I would share these. Here is my top pick cockerel so far for breeding in the spring.

He is in the front, brother in back.

Thank you, We will be working on breeding to the dutch eb standard.
Currently all my chicks have some yellow markings on their helmets as below and I am interested if people think they are eb or e+

Both these boys are two weeks old and had nice stripes up their backs.

Back
Top Bottom