Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
Hi everyone,
I just joined the forum a couple days ago and I have a pair of Barnevelders from last years hatch and also I have some coming from Ideal in a few weeks as well.

In a few years I will be needing some good double laced barnvelders for a project I have in mind. I was noticing on bluehenhatchery's hens that they vary in color, it looks like some are single laced, some are double laced, and I think I saw some partridge colored hens. What color of legs do they have?

I have been looking locally for barnevelders for over a year..

I hate to have eggs shipped, but I can see no other way around it..

does any one of you have fertile eggs that you might want to part with?? I would be glad to pay for them and shipping, keeping in mind that I am on a fixed income..

PM me if you can help me out..

I have just started collecting eggs for hatching but soon there will be more people having their hens lay and you should find them easier. I am not sure how high you are willing to pay but shipped Barnie eggs are pretty expensive, imo.
I'm am just happy my girls are laying again.

Quote:
Welcome to BYC! It's a great place to join together with poultry friends and a great source of information!
I am new to Barnevelders, they look to be an interesting breed...I am enjoying learning about them!
I hope you post Pics of your Ideal chicks, I was wondering what color or quality they have...does Ideal contract out to other breeders, or do they hatch their birds in-house?? It will be neat to see how they turn out.

I just bought my now 3 chicks (I lost one) from a local lady, but have no idea what her source was - which hatchery or breeder they were from....I have to wait to see what they are like when they grow up, hopefully they are a good start in the breed! I am also getting 3 more this Spring from Little Gem Hatchery.

Keep us posted!

Tina/tfpets

My Barnies are now laying up a storm. I can't wait till these guys hatch out and I can expand the flock!
With some hatchery chicks on the way and hatching out the breeder chicks, I think maybe by fall I will have a large number, barring anything crazy happening.

Hi BlueHen,
I know you have some pretty red barnevelders along with the darker laced ones - Do you happen to know which color hens lay the darkest eggs in your flock? Is there much of a difference?

We can't keep all our chickens and I'm trying to decide which barnevelder hen to keep (they haven't started laying yet - one is reddish & one is the dark laced color). I already have some future brown egg layers and would love to keep a 'dark brown' egg layer if possible.

If anyone else knows the answer, feel free to chime in.
Thanks,
Mary Ann

I have a batch of Barnevelders that is supposed to be hatching out tomorrow with some Welsummers that I am getting from one of my breeders. I hope to pick them up on Saturday.

Once you see my last name, you'll probably quickly guess one of the reasons why I'm getting Barnevelders. Another reason is because I understand they are rare now (not withstanding that the hatcheries have begun to sell them unfortunately) and I know their egg color needs to be worked on. So, since I enjoy the challenge of improving a breed, I thought the Barnevelders would go well with my Ameraucana and Welsummer projects. Although I won't be able to devote a whole lot of focus on them for probably two years, I do plan to work on them hard with my breeder and another breeder in OR that I just remembered I'm trading a dozen Ameraucana Eggs for her Barnevelder eggs. I know she is VERY serious about her breeding efforts as well.

Lastly, the breeder I am getting my birds from was one of the original five folks that got the Barnevelders and Welsummers accepted into the APA at Vancouver, WA in 1993. He is where I got my first Welsummers from. His original birds came from Germany. I am also hoping to get some Barnevelder and Welsummer chicks or birds from one of the other original five breeders and his birds came from the Netherlands and maybe Wales too. I can't remember for sure.

So I should wind up with at least three good lines to work from. I'm looking forward to being the happy owner of Barnevelders!

God Bless,

Back
Top Bottom