Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

TNCHICKENUT, so sorry!! I can't even imagine! All the years, time, care, and money just gone at the drop of a hat. I just got into Barney's this spring so I don't have any eggs to offer myself right now. Don't give up. Once again, so sorry.
sad.png

Here's my Barnie chicks. The one with bigger crown & woddles i'm sure is a boy. Even his markings/pattern aren't like the other 3. The other 2 have crowns but no woddles. Their markings are more like the pullet who has no crown. Does markings/feather pattern mean anything? So since I'm almost 100% the barnie with the crown & big woddles is a roo, thinking about finding him a home now & watch the other 2 possible roos. They are 7wks tomorrow.

65421_7-25-11_104.jpg

65421_7-25-11_102.jpg

Hi all you Barnevelder enthusiasts! These are quickly becoming one of my favorite breeds, so pretty and I love their carriage, so proud! So, this is my first post oh this thread but I have taken some pictures of my Bantams and would like all of your opinions about their quality and size. They are bigger than my other bantams but that was in the description when I purchased the eggs. These ar emy only pair and they are 13 weeks old now. Please take a look and let me know what you think!

59074_chickensjuly2011_027.jpg

59074_chickensjuly2011_041.jpg

59074_chickensjuly2011_002.jpg

59074_chickensjuly2011_006.jpg

59074_chickensjuly2011_038.jpg

59074_chickensjuly2011_035.jpg

Quote:
Looks like 2 definate boys and one questionable one with the pictures given. The one on the far left is a definate girl, though. The color pattern is different from boy to girl. The girls will be lacked all over and the boys seem "darker" for lack of a better term.

Thank you all for the kind words and offers. I got to tell you... the Barnevelder thread is by far the most giving group I have talked about this problem in. Everyone wants to help! lol... even if they don't have eggs yet.

I'm the most bummed about my Barnies too. Easily one of my favorite all time breeds.

I still have my Bantam Barnies, btw.

To answer the bantam question... they go by the same standards as the LF... the difference is only in size. Bantam Barnevelders are a work in progress and the size is larger than most of your bantams that you think of (OEGB, Sebrights, ect). But they are definately smaller than LF Barnies.

As for judging your birds, pictures are hard to judge by... looks good though. You don't want too much red coloration in the hackle of the roos... doesn't look like you have that. It's hard to see the lacing on the girls, but bodies look good for their age. They will chunk up a bit more as they mature. Legs yellow... that is a good sign of pure stock. Overall... you got good birds, from what we I can tell in the pics.

Don't let the size throw you. Just try to use the smallest for breeding and continue that trend... if all of us with bantams do that their overall size will go down accross the country. Though personally I think they are perfect. They aren't so tiny they are fragile and prey to everything, but they aren't so big that they are hard to handle.

THANK GOD I still have my bantam Barnies... I might have gone to the loonie bin to lose both the standards and the bantams!!

Back
Top Bottom