Barnevelder chicks, different feathering patterns, boys vs girls.

offleash

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Hi all, This is my third attempt trying to get a female Double SIlver Laced Barnevelder. Last year all three chicks we got were roos. This year we got three more and I am, for the first time, noticing a slightly different feathering pattern, so I wanted to share my observations. Below you see three chicks, all five weeks old. Chick #1 has a darker head, a grey breast and a short fluffy black tail. This chick got a tail much later than the other two and is smaller. It has started to get a nice lacing pattern on it's breast. Chick 2 and 3 developed tails about 2 weeks earlier than Chick 1. They are fluffy and grey. They have a white chest and belly, and have not developed lacing on the breasts. Chick 2 and 3 are nearly identical to the males we had last year. Chick 1 is something we have not seen before. Chick 2 and 3 are curious and happy to be held. Chick 1 is not. I am, at this point, assuming that Chick 1 is a female and will keep this updated with the results. If Chick 2 and 3 are males that will have given us a 16% chance of getting a female chick. Not great odds, but we only really needed one. I'm hoping she comes around and gets a little more comfortable with us.
IMG_9604.jpg

Chick 1

IMG_9608.jpg

Chick 2

IMG_9611.jpg

Chick 3

IMG_9623.jpg

Left to right: Chick 1, Chick 2, Chick 3

IMG_9705.jpg

Left to right: Chick 3, Chick 2, Chick 1

IMG_9707.jpg

Left to right: Chick 3, Chick 2, Chick 1

IMG_9710.jpg
Left to right: Chick 2, Chick 3, Chick 1

It’s a bit early still but based on combs, as I don’t really know a lot about pattern sexing, I’m going to say that chicks no. 2 is a boy. In the second to last pic that comb and those wattle look a bit red and more developed.

I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to prove but Barnevelders lacing like any other chickens differentiates between bird rather than gender. As they get older the lacing will differ in genders due to genders having those different feathers but currently I don’t think so.

The chick in the back of the photo with the redder and larger comb looks like a possible cockerel. :)

It’s a bit early still but based on combs, as I don’t really know a lot about pattern sexing, I’m going to say that chicks no. 2 is a boy. In the second to last pic that comb and those wattle look a bit red and more developed.
Yes, I agree chick #2 and 3 are boys. The only one I am saying is a girl is #1. I've had 5 roos of this breed so far, so I'm pretty sure I can spot a roo now :)

I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to prove but Barnevelders lacing like any other chickens differentiates between bird rather than gender. As they get older the lacing will differ in genders due to genders having those different feathers but currently I don’t think so.

The chick in the back of the photo with the redder and larger comb looks like a possible cockerel. :)
Yes, I am saying that chick 2 and 3 are boys based on my experience having had 5 roos so far. Chick #1 I suspect to be a girl as she has developed much differently and has feathered in a completely different way than the 5 roos I have had of this breed.

This is super helpful! I currently have 4 DSLB chicks from Alchemist. They’re almost 6 weeks old and the wait to figure out if I have any pullets is KILLING me.

I thought I’d give an update. The two I thought were boys definitely are and the girl is in fact a girl. Here are some recent pictures to show the feathering differences.

Attachments

• 6FE3CBFB-31CE-45A5-A769-B5A99465EF05.jpeg
    6FE3CBFB-31CE-45A5-A769-B5A99465EF05.jpeg
    855.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 3388E985-2396-49CF-8B6B-D55AEFEADDBE.jpeg
    3388E985-2396-49CF-8B6B-D55AEFEADDBE.jpeg
    739.2 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom