Boy or Girl?

• Total voters
Pics

Minanora

The Cuckoo Lady
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2023
Atascadero, CA
Alright, this is the first barnevelder I've ever had. It's from privett hatchery. I've noticed that they're very difficult to sex and have not been able to identify the gender of this chick yet.

We're currently up to 9, see page 8 for photos of 9 weeks, weeks total for tracking.

I am guessing it's a pullet, but let's track growth and add to the pool of references for Barnevelders. (I was wrong, it's a roo)

It's legs have always been very yellow. Always the least tame but is getting more friendly I guess. It's 4 weeks old as of yesterday.

1000008011.jpg

1000008010.jpg
1000008009.jpg
1000008008.jpg

Just under three weeks below.
1000007868.jpg
1000007865.jpg
1000007862.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's a male... big feet and body form also the comb is a bit big for that age to be a hen.
These facts and that suspicion lurks in the back of my mind daily. 🤣 I can't keep a rooster which is a shame. I am literally listening to one of my big hens pretend to be a rooster right now. That's already enough noise. 😂 One of my neighbors had a roo and after a year the city finally came and took him away. He wasn't even that loud!

I'm going to keep hoping it's a pullet, but yeah, it's probably a cockerel.

Cockerel-little doubt about it, sorry.
He'll be handsome though.
It'll be interesting to see the changes over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully him being handsome means someone will want him. I want him, but I don't want to make enemies in the neighborhood. 😂

Hopefully I get lucky and it's a pullet! As doubtful as it may be!

Unfortunately I think it's a cockerel, his coloring is starting to look more boyish, and he's got wattles developing now. :hmm

Unfortunately I think it's a cockerel, his coloring is starting to look more boyish, and he's got wattles developing now. :hmm
What coloring should I be keeping an eye on, and where? I noticed that young cockerels have a deeper red on the breast, but it seems to vary. What about the feather groups on the wings? Etc? This way I can take more photos, if there's any rhyme or reason.

What coloring should I be keeping an eye on, and where? I noticed that young cockerels have a deeper red on the breast, but it seems to vary. What about the feather groups on the wings? Etc? This way I can take more photos, if there's any rhyme or reason.
Cockerels will develop patchier coloring overall, and eventually be black breasted. Big patches of brighter color are the main thing you need to watch out for. Pullets will have nice, even lacing all over. As well as coloring, you can watch the comb and wattles to see if they suddenly turn more red or sprout up overnight. This would indicate cockerel, for sure. Your chick is a bit young, and if you could update in a week or two it should be much more obvious.

Cockerels will develop patchier coloring overall, and eventually be black breasted. Big patches of brighter color are the main thing you need to watch out for. Pullets will have nice, even lacing all over. As well as coloring, you can watch the comb and wattles to see if they suddenly turn more red or sprout up overnight. This would indicate cockerel, for sure. Your chick is a bit young, and if you could update in a week or two it should be much more obvious.
Thank you so much for the information. I'll keep updating. I've been looking back at photos from my other chickens when they were this age. Two of the pullets had similar levels of development in the legs, waddles and comb. So I agree that it's still too early. All of my last chicks turned out to be hens. Different breed though. Time will tell! 😄

Back
Top Bottom