Barnevelder gender tracking. 3 - 9 weeks

Boy or Girl?

• Total voters
And Privett is also on the fence about gender. That's funny. "It kind of resembles a male, but we're not sure" No comment from them on the red feathering at this point. We'll give this little chicken another week and see how the feathers are looking then!

I'm sure I'll post more photos sometime this weekend. Today I'm stuck in the house; I have some kind of cold that my small human brought me. :(
This one sure is a stumper! I'm looking forward to learning what he/she ends up being. Hope you feel better soon too :hugs

This one sure is a stumper! I'm looking forward to learning what he/she ends up being. Hope you feel better soon too :hugs
Totally.

Thank you so much. Me too. I'm not one to take a break... I do not like to sit around when there's always work to be done. I think I burned myself out yesterday, I moved about 6 cubic yards of fresh mulch from the front street side to all of my planting areas in the very back yard. 7+ hours of shoveling and carting may have been too much for someone whos small human is sick... he even told me "mom you should take it easy, you don't know if you're sick or not" That, from my 5.5 year old... He's wise beyond his years. :lau

I went to put the little girls away for the night and SOMEONE made a silly crow attempt. I didn't look up in time to see who it was! Ah! But based on the posture of the Barnie, I'm thinking that he's the one who did it! These little birds are very attached to each other.... they miss each other when I pick them up one by one to put them away. They cheep and cry and cry and cry. It'll be sad to say goodbye to the barnie when/if the time comes. I'm really thinking that's the tiny roo. He's just super pretty. Two more weeks and we'll know, I'm sure.

I have now witnessed the barnie making the crowing attempts. Good news though! My SIL will take him if he's a cockerel! So I'll be able to keep taking photos of him, etc. I'm going to keep him for a little bit longer. Just in case. But I think we can all agree that it's probably a cockerel.

I have now witnessed the barnie making the crowing attempts. Good news though! My SIL will take him if he's a cockerel! So I'll be able to keep taking photos of him, etc. I'm going to keep him for a little bit longer. Just in case. But I think we can all agree that it's probably a cockerel.
We finally know!!! I'm sorry he turned out to be a boy, but I'm glad you figured it out.

I still haven't decided. 🤔 There's still a tiny chance that it's a pullet I think. Maybe. *Shrug* 🤣
1000008481.jpg

1000008475.jpg
1000008470.jpg
1000008480.jpg
1000008477.jpg
1000008482.jpg

Let's not start again 😩 He was crowing, he's a boy. I don't know what's going on with his feathers, but I look forward to seeing how his big boy feathers come in!

Let's not start again 😩 He was crowing, he's a boy. I don't know what's going on with his feathers, but I look forward to seeing how his big boy feathers come in!
I haven't seen the little guy crow since. 🤷‍♀️ I seriously have no idea what his/her deal is. 😂 I spent several hours watching them, I can't tell.

One of my big girls tries to crow sometimes. 🥴

Well, according to the standard of perfection for Barnevelders, the cockerels do have laced chests, and the black patch appears only on the upper wing. Interesting. The red patch isn’t mentioned. Can’t remember the source of that other information.

I actually think cockerel is more likely at this point based on the photos but not 100%.

Back
Top Bottom