Barnevelder, hen or cockerel?

decomposed

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Was given this "hen" the other day the woman assured my mother it was a hen but its tail looks a lot like the start of a cockerel tail, it sounds like a hen and hasn't tried to fight the other cockerel that is here, i was told it's around 16 weeks old, it doesn't have the pointed saddle feathers or neck feathers like a cockerel the feathers look round at the end but it is still quite young, i have never had a Barnevelder hen or cockerel before so i thought maybe someone on here would know better than i do. Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the bad quality pics i don't have a better camera at the moment.

I agree with Junebeggena and Donrae.

That is a Barnevelder hen...and around the stated age.

A Barnie rooster would have black chest, no lacing, and red bars on the wings. I don't have a photo of my big boy, but he says you've got a nice hen there.

The tail should settle down as she fills in with her final adult feathers. I've had a number of young ladies get funk in their tail as they finish their juvenile molt and grow in final adult feathers.

LofMc

Take it back...here are some photos of my 2 Barnie roosters at around 16 weeks of age. You can see no lacing, red bars on wings, and a wink towards your girl.

LofMc

awesome what a relief haha, the cockerel here starts crowing at 3:30am i couldn't imagine 2 of them going all morning, i would never get any sleep hahaha, thanks so much everyone :)

Congratulations it's a girl !!
ya.gif
So nice to be able to say that. We see a lot of cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom