Barnyard kitten has mange? What can I do?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kuntrygirl, Sep 14, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have a 16 week old barnyard kitten that has what looks like mange. Her skin is very dry and scaly around her face, neck, ears, back. I have other barnyard cats and I don't want this to spread to them. What kind of over-the-counter shampoo or other remedy can I try to get rid of the mange? Thanks.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Maybe some apple cider vinegar (with the mother) may help contain it/cure it - I put it in their water

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't know if something like Head and Shoulders or Selsen Blue would work. If it is that bad, that kitten really should see a vet.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Are you sure it is mange and not ringworm? I had a litter of barn kittens and the vet had me get some lime sulfur and bathe them in it. Worked great.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yea, I thought about the vet. I will call the vet and see what they say. They may tell me to bring her in. If so, I will do that. I don't want the other cats getting what she has.

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I was thinking ringworm too. But, I haven't seen it in so long I can't remember how it looked.
    Dumb question, but I have done stranger things, she didn't just have her head in something that dried on her? Like a big mayo jar or bowl of milk? I have seen things in my animals fur that I was sure was something bad and it ended up being some kind of goop they got into. [​IMG]

7. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    my parents dog had mange when she was a pup it took a year to get it cleared up right. a weekly shot and lots of aloe on the scabbing that they get from itching. Selsun blue is what our vet recommended bathing her in.

8. coopgirl

coopgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Jesup, GA
    There is a product called Happy Jack medicated shampoo. You can get it from feed stores. It works on mange, hot spot, and a variety of other skin ailments. It has a very strong odor but it really works. One of my rescued GSD came in with about half of his hair gone and in a month and a half his hair was growing in beautifully. It's about 5-6 dollars a bottle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by