Barred boys, or girls? 1 week old.

J-Habs

Chirping
Aug 28, 2023
I hatched some chicks exactly 1 week ago today from a barred olive egger hen and my F4 Olive egger rooster (not barred) I am definitely not an expert in sexing barred chicks so I'm looking for some help. I've read both males and females might have a spot on their hearts, but they might look different. There are 3 chicks in question. Each chick has 3 pics each ( top of head, spread wings, and side view) please help me find out what I have. Two of them seem to have different wings that the other.
1000009304.jpg

Attachments

• 20240314_150514.jpg
    20240314_150514.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240314_150509.jpg
    20240314_150509.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240314_150502.jpg
    20240314_150502.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240314_150443.jpg
    20240314_150443.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240314_150438.jpg
    20240314_150438.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240314_150426.jpg
    20240314_150426.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240314_150351.jpg
    20240314_150351.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240314_150342.jpg
    20240314_150342.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 16
I hatched some chicks exactly 1 week ago today from a barred olive egger hen and my F4 Olive egger rooster (not barred) I am definitely not an expert in sexing barred chicks so I'm looking for some help. I've read both males and females might have a spot on their hearts, but they might look different.
When the mother has barring and the father has no barring gene (not barred), then only the sons have barring (light head spot, white lines across the feathers.) Daughters have no barring. If that is the cross you have, then all the chicks in your photos are males, because all of those chicks do have barring.

When both parents are pure for barring (example: Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans), then all chicks have barring, so they all have headspots. That is when people sex them by differences in the headspots. Barring is on the Z sex chromosome, so males have two (ZZ) and females have only one (ZW). Two copies of the barring gene (vs. one) make a bigger headspot, lighter leg color, and overall a lighter appearance (lighter/darker is especially obvious in adults, while the head spot is only visible in young chicks.)

If you are sure the rooster has no barring, then all the chicks are male.
If you want a second opinion on whether the rooster has barring, you can post a picture of him and see what people say. Barring is a dominant gene, so a chicken should not have the gene without showing the effects (but barring is easier to see on some colors than others: white bars on the feathers of a white or buff or splash or lavender chicken is not very obvious!)

And if you raise the chicks, and find that any are females, that will be proof that the rooster does have at least one barring gene after all.

When the mother has barring and the father has no barring gene (not barred), then only the sons have barring (light head spot, white lines across the feathers.) Daughters have no barring. If that is the cross you have, then all the chicks in your photos are males, because all of those chicks do have barring.

When both parents are pure for barring (example: Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans), then all chicks have barring, so they all have headspots. That is when people sex them by differences in the headspots. Barring is on the Z sex chromosome, so males have two (ZZ) and females have only one (ZW). Two copies of the barring gene (vs. one) make a bigger headspot, lighter leg color, and overall a lighter appearance (lighter/darker is especially obvious in adults, while the head spot is only visible in young chicks.)

If you are sure the rooster has no barring, then all the chicks are male.
If you want a second opinion on whether the rooster has barring, you can post a picture of him and see what people say. Barring is a dominant gene, so a chicken should not have the gene without showing the effects (but barring is easier to see on some colors than others: white bars on the feathers of a white or buff or splash or lavender chicken is not very obvious!)

And if you raise the chicks, and find that any are females, that will be proof that the rooster does have at least one barring gene after all.
:goodpost: I agree with everything NatJ said!

I agree with what has said, but it's only going to work if you're absolutely certain the father has no barring gene. Sometimes the barring can be quite subtle, especially if it is on a blue rooster, and it won't show on a white rooster.
20240208_151207.jpg

He comes from a Cream Legbar bred to a BCM, and then bred back another 3 generations to BCM. So would he carry barring from a Cream Legbar 4 generations ago?

View attachment 3772576
He comes from a Cream Legbar bred to a BCM, and then bred back another 3 generations to BCM. So would he carry barring from a Cream Legbar 4 generations ago?
No, barring is a dominant gene so it can't be carried. If they are carrying any barring you will see a barred bird. The only way barring can be "carried" but not visible is if you have barring on a white bird. It can be difficult to see on pale colors, but it will still be visible if you look closely enough.

No, barring is a dominant gene so it can't be carried. If they are carrying any barring you will see a barred bird. The only way barring can be "carried" but not visible is if you have barring on a white bird. It can be difficult to see on pale colors, but it will still be visible if you look closely enough.
Thanks! I was pretty sure they were males, I was just thrown off by one having much longer wing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom