Barred Buff Cochins

I had a buff cochin cockerel from Duane Urch that came in buff barred but he died at around 8 weeks of age. If you wanted to do it you should use a barred cock with buff/red hens. If I remember correctly you would then take a male from that mating and cross it back to buff hens and you should have something that looks like a buff barred. I asked this question before when I thought about making a red barred bird.

The info I found before switched the sexes. Does the barred gene carry more on males or females?

Example A: Barred Female to Buff Male-take Female offspring and Mate back to an unrelated Buff Male.

Example B: Barred Male to Buff Female-Take Male offspring and Mate back to unrelated buff female

OR just to see if this would work....

One example of each above, mate the females from one set with the males of the other and vice versa. Would this work? Why or why not?

Quote:
So technically we would want a Barred Male to start because they give the barred gene to all their offspring, and the Buff or Red Hen because the color? Or would their children still all be barred black with a recessive red/buff?

So then their children could be matched up to buffs?

If you start with a barred male with two barring genes all offsring will inherit one barring gene. You can then use one of the male offspring to put back onto buff or red pullets. All things being equal about 50% of the offspring will inherit the barring gene.

Last edited:
Ok so my BIO101 class did not prepare me for chicken breeding. Is there a book or somewhere you all learned all of this? I didn't know there would be a single or double barring gene
smile.png
I guess that would make them breed true though.

I didn't know there would be a single or double barring gene I guess that would make them breed true though.

The locus for the genes b+, (not barred) B & alleles, is on the Z sex chromosome. Female chickens only have one Z chromosome, thus they can only have one barring gene (or one of its alleles). Any offspring the pass on their Z chromosome to will be males. If she as a barring gene on her Z chromosome she will pass on a barring gene to all of her male offspring but is unable to pass any barring gene to female offspring.
The males have two Z chromosomes & can have a "barred" gene on each of the two Z chromosomes. In which case all offspring will inherit a barring gene from him.
If the male has a barring gene on one Z chromosome & the non mutant not barred gene on the other Z chromosome. Only approximatly 50% of his offspring, all things being equal, will be able to inherit a barring gene from him. (The other hypothetical 50%, inheriting the non barring gene).​

I just noticed the daughter there doesn't seem as "barred" as the father. Would someone need to bring back in a solid Black barred to get the bars a little more deep? Or just culling?

Back
Top Bottom