Barred Cochin question?

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
First let me say I processed the barred cochin cockerel I am asking about(to those that may be offended)yesterday and am regretting it now. I bought 6 barred rock pullets appx. 4 months ago (would NOT recommend this seller in Johnstown OH-besides the point but...)and 4 turned out to be cockerels(don't have current pic-sorry-believe from research 1 was actually a barred cochin)so I preocessed 3 yesterday(saved 1 BR cockerel for roo stuff with my BR pullets)and one I processed was said Barred Cockin cockerel and was 9 lbs. I have no real knowledge of them and it appears now they're harder to find and he may have been cool to raise further but....MY QUESTION!!!!!!! Are barred cochin not common ?and I WILL say he had gorgeous beautiful meat on him for a 6 month old cockerel.

You know, I don't recall seeing any barred Cochin's at the Ohio National.......I could be mistaken......
hmm.png

I did not know where to ask this question and I know most of you probably show/breed (and its probably obvious i am ignorant )so thought ya'll might know. This bird was SO gorgeous and huge but I was needing to make room(and they were starting to jump on my girls-too many of them!!)and am curious as to if I made another unfortunate decision. my adult son called him mr. fluffy legs and wanted me to keep HIM but I decided against it. oh well.

Large Fowl Barred Cochins are not very common. There are some out there, but few and far between, especially of any quality as far as breed standards go. Beside myself I know of 3 others that have Large Barreds. Bantam Barreds are a bit more common, but still not many out there at the shows. Unfortunate, because a good one is nice to look at.
2010 Hatch hen
15970_adscn0841.jpg

Cochinman-that is a beautiful barred cochin(female I assume?).(sorry-just read your note above pic!) Like I said I got this bird from a farm that had HUNDREDS of chicks running together(no real attempt at seperation) and my first concern was if I was actually getting pullets(which 3/4 of what I got WERE cockerels)and realized soon that one of the barred rock(later known cochin I BELIEVE)had feathery legs. as it matured it matured LARGE comparatively to the others then developed the cockerel feather on tail. was by no means a well bred bird(i would think?) and at 6 months of age the feathering on his legs was no where near as fluffy as cochins I am seeing now. just interesting to me and I ,of course NOW, seem to have an interest in standard cochins. the chicken obbsession grows. thanks for responses!

Last edited:
Quote:
thanks Dick! I almost entered a couple of them at the Congress, but decided against it. They have good type and size. Barring isn't as crisp as I'd like. I've had them for 5 years now. I did a cross to Blacks the first year and they are starting to come around. Golden Laced are a work in progress.

Hey everyone. Well i just commented on a different thread responding to some guy that was trashing hatchery's. well normally i would agree that they can do terrible jobs at producing birds to standard. I myself believe that every hatchery probably does 50-80% terrible and 20-50% percent of the breeds they offer very very good to standard. I think each hatchery is different and that you can go to them for certain breeds per specific hatchery's. When i imagine it ,the head breeder at each hatchery probably has there own favorite breeds and do them very well and maybe they just kinda let things slide on other breeds they are not as into or favor as much.

Sry to be long winded about all this. the reason I'm posting is because I bought some barred Cochin's from Privett hatchery and I think they do a pretty good job on them. Ive been searching Barred Cochin threads to try and compare mine. I would like to know if Privett really is good for Barred Cochin's. I will get some pics taken soon and i hope everyone can help me in determining if they are good quality or not.

I do have to say though, that even though a hatchery does really good on certain breeds. I believe that they sell all the culls as straight runs where a diehard breeder would naturally cull the majority. This is the only reason why they get a bad rap. even if you find one that does well at a breed you still have to buy 50-80% more than you wanted to get a good breeding stock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom