Barred crossbreed

krehh5

Hatching
Aug 1, 2016
Am I correct in the understanding that a barred offspring of a RIR over (seemingly) a Barred Rock?

We have a mixed flock, but half the hens are BR. At the time we had a WLR Cornish roo, but even if it was his, genetic rules still hold true here, yes? Of the 3 survivors (someone didn't like the babies) there are 2 that are beautiful black with orange flecks, black beak, legs and comb - which is nearly non-existent. The third is barred, red wattle and comb and yellow legs. It looks exactly like each of our BR hens at this point (7-8 weeksish) and in fact, doesn't seem very male-like to my limited experience and knowledge. But it has to be male, right?

We have a mixed flock, I assume other patterning wouldn't make a difference?

No great pics but here's what I managed!

I know the comb and waffles are pretty big but all 4 of our BR's looked like this around this age. Other than barring, I'm not seeing anything in the feathers to point to male. When do their spurs start coming in?

yep that is a cockerel very handsome boy and the spurs come in at about 3 months old heres my 4 month old rooster's spurs

Last edited:

I know the comb and waffles are pretty big but all 4 of our BR's looked like this around this age. Other than barring, I'm not seeing anything in the feathers to point to male. When do their spurs start coming in?
It's too hard to tell by the picture
hmm.png

Awesome, thank you! I'll start keeping a close eye for the spurs in a couple weeks!

My understanding was that it isn't possible for this chicken to be female, but I don't know how well I actually understand chicken genetics yet. I'm hoping I've misunderstood
1f609.png
I appreciate your input guys! Thanks!

Cockerel. Barred hens can only pass their barring gene to their male offspring. The only barred adult birds in your flock are hens. Therefore, this chick must be male. And at 8 weeks old that red comb confirms it. Pullets don't pink up until they are close to laying age.

Cockerel. Barred hens can only pass their barring gene to their male offspring. The only barred adult birds in your flock are hens. Therefore, this chick must be male. And at 8 weeks old that red comb confirms it. Pullets don't pink up until they are close to laying age.

::confused:ge sigh:: Thank you for confirming! I did figure that out but was really hoping I was just dumb, I'm glad to know for sure for sure! One of our Cornish hens just hatched 4 chicks so hopefully they'll all be pullets. I can wish, right?! Now I just need to decide if we're going to keep him...

Side note: I was positive one of the BR hens was a male because she pinked very early, but she was the first to lay, too. Weeks before the others! She's a great hen!

Just to give an idea of what black sexlink boys are capable of producing -
This is Junior, my black sexlink Easter Egger.

Here are just a few of the chicks that he's fathered

Back
Top Bottom