Barred EE's or Araucanas or Ameraucanas

I understand barring, was just trying to figure out how they were sex links....that term is usually applied to birds that can be sexed at hatch, which I didn't understand how a cross with an EE could be a sex link.....since EE are mutts
hu.gif

From what I understand from the "olive Egger" thread, If you cross a EE/Ameracauna Roo with a Barred Rock (Or Cuckoo Maran) you'll get EE Sex links who lay olive colored eggs. So the Roos will all be barred and can be sexed at birth. (Right???
big_smile.png
)

Unless I'm wrong, they can't carry the gene for Barring and not be Barred, can they? Ack, Chicken genetics!

I actually kept my EE "mutt" Roo and hens over the purebred stuff I had, lol

Just drop me a PM whenever you are ready Bearpaw, I have my first batch in the incubator, so we should know by then if I am correct or way off base! ;p

I'm going to have to PU a couple more Barred Rock hens, I bet pullets will sell really well at the farm auction this spring! I have one Cuckoo Maran hen, but she's still just a baby!

It beats waiting for the darn things to crow to tell what they are!

I'm going to make some of these too: http://www.welbar.co.uk/ When my Welsummers grow up, that is!

I really never thought chickens could be so complicated
barnie.gif

eta- I wasn't insulting your roo, just generalizing the genetics involved in them
big_smile.png

I am definitely interested to see how they turn out. I was thinking about putting my bc marans roo over my cuckoo marans hens (or vice-versa, if I could find my notes
tongue.png
) which would give me a sex link dark layer (theoretically.....because darn dark egg genes are hard to get pinned down) good luck with your hatch
wink.png

Last edited:
Anything you cross with a BR rooster will be barred and will NOT be a sexlink. If you cross an EE rooster with BR hens, then you will have a sexlink. The males will have barring and the females will be mostly solid colored, but perhaps with some spangling (I have had this cross).

Hi! I FINALLY moved these girls (I have 2 cuckoo and a blue cuckoo) in with a black Am' roo.

335593797.jpg

325402006.jpg

I moved 2 black Am' hens in with bearded/muffed pea-combed blue cuckoo boy also today (I been a pen-building fool!).

From the first cross, I know I'll only get cuckoo/barred boys.

From the 2nd pen, I should get some cuckoo/barred girls and boys.

Hopefully, using the black Am's (as opposed to using blue or splash Am's) *should* be a step toward straightening out the leg color.

Small steps...
Hatch lots of chicks...
and I'll get there eventually.
smile.png

Lisa

I think he looks pretty for a mutt bird, LOL

Would that work for BC Marans and Cuckoo Marans? The Roos would all be barred then, right? Would that mean that the BC would now carry barred, or that it would just mess up their coloring?

I could see doing that to "fix" the color on the Cuckoo Marans, then breeding those hens back to a BC... See, that is what I would do if the chickens were rabbits and I had something I needed to "Fix" on one.

I hear ya on the chicken genetics, gets awfully confusing to me!

I'm still trying to figure out why the sex link crosses only work one way, LOL

Those are pretty birds, do they lay an olive colored egg? Are the beards and muffs smaller on the first cross? (We call that an F1 cross in rabbits, BTW, makes it easier to remember what generation of the experiment you're on!) So you loose the leg color then on the outcross?

Quote:
This should help...

Female chickens have a Z (long) chromosome and a W (short) chromosome. This makes her set of sex chromosomes represented as ZW. Because it is longer, the Z chromosome has gene locations that the W chromosomme does not.

Male chickens have two Z sex chromosomes...or ZZ.

In this case, the barred gene is carried on the Z chromosome, but not the W chromosome.

So...
If you cross the Barred Hen to a pure Black Ameraucana Roo, the female offspring end up with a W chromosome without a barred gene from the hen. Therefore all females will be non-barred.

Males on the other hand will get a barred gene from the hen's Z chromosome. Therefore all males will be barred.

I'm sure this is correct. I already make this cross and know the sexlinking works.

Other combinations of barred hen x solid roo will give sexlink results for the same reason.

Kim,

I'm not as good at explaning it but yes. However there is at least one barred breed that is not sex linked like the Barred Rock, Dominiques and Marans. It also lays white eggs.
It also has the slate legs. So offspring could possibly be allowed into the Standard of the Ameraucanas in The A.P.A. However I'm still researching other possible Genetic problems.
I start crossing this summer if all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom