Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
So let's see if I understand this correctly:

Barred gene= Cuckoo appearance

Barred gene + Slow Feather gene + Colombian= crisp barring
There may be more to it, it's still not fully understood but in the studies done that I read, the columbian and the slow feathering was segregated out showing it was part of the genetic make up for the Barred Rock which has the finer, more clean looking barring.

http://www.ultimatefowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=917

Last edited:
There may be more to it, it's still not fully understood but in the studies done that I read, the columbian and the slow feathering was segregated out showing it was part of the genetic make up for the Barred Rock which has the finer, more clean looking barring.

Just an FYI, I plan to also use my Barred Hollands to try a breeding with my black Araucana's. I have a lot of Columbian in my Araucana's, I think they all have it. And, I have been banding the chicks that have been slow feathering. By using my slow feathering individuals, the ones I know are slow feathering, I hope to see a finer barring on the Araucana crosses. I have a friend working on barred in the Araucana's and the Hollands seemed perfect for this since both breeds have yellow skin, the Hollands white eggs won't add a green tint to the blue eggs that the Araucana's lay and other things that make them a compatible cross.

I'll post how it turns out. My Hollands were feathered when I got them so I don't know if any of them were slow feathering, probably not but I have nothing to base that on.

I really like barred birds in general but I plan to start breeding next year. I am considering the Barred Hollands due to their rarity factor - why breed more of the same old, same old in my opinion. I am not ready yet (I still need to build the breeding pens) but will be at the beginning of spring. By then, I will have selected my source (if any still exist by then) and have my plan more defined. I am truly interested in this project and will be subscribing to this thread.

I really like barred birds in general but I plan to start breeding next year. I am considering the Barred Hollands due to their rarity factor - why breed more of the same old, same old in my opinion. I am not ready yet (I still need to build the breeding pens) but will be at the beginning of spring. By then, I will have selected my source (if any still exist by then) and have my plan more defined. I am truly interested in this project and will be subscribing to this thread.
Welcome to the group.........be prepared to roll your sleeves up. This breed has a lot of work to do to perfect it. There are several of us just starting but by fall, there should be some eggs being laid and youngsters showing some maturity but it will be spring before most of us can see ours looking their best to critique

Thank you for validating my Great-Uncle Marion! He and my Great-Aunt Eugenia were farmers in Colombia, TN and lived in this marvelous old southern plantation house complete with white columns and mimosa trees. They never had any children and Janet, my second cousin and I would go spend two weeks with them in the summer. The first week we would go to Florida and the next week we would have fun being farm kids. Aunt Eugenia, taught us to make clover chains. We made crowns and jumped rope with them. We helped dig potatoes and Uncle Marion showed me how when you harvest cabbage to cut off all the sucker heads but one and you could get a second harvest. He is the one who told me the difference between the barred and the cuckoo.

Oh and they taught us to play Bridge the Chess of Card games. He was a wonderful man, a WWI veteran, a member of one of the last military band units that actually took the field of battle with their instruments and their guns. He taught me to love farming. He was quiet, and funny and a little bit shy. He only stood about 5'5". He was probably 2 inches taller in his prime. He was a strong man even in his seventies and eighties. I would always give him a solid bear hug at the Christmas family get-together to let him know that I did not consider him an weak old man. He would always match the hug too and laugh. By this time I was almost as tall as him.

When the discussion of the barred vs. cuckoo came up I remembered what he had told me about it some 40 years ago. It all came flooding back in a rush and brought so many other wonderful memories with it. Thank you all for triggering that recall.

I am going to have Mr. Craig Russell, President of Sfppa evalute the 6 cockerels i have so i can cull down to 2, maybe 3. He had/showed this breed 20-30 yrs ago! Cool huh?! I am looking to trade eggs with someone to bring in different blood in the fall. Mine came from Clancy Poultry. Anyone with the a.j. domini birds interested? Please, please...

I've gotten 3 eggs so far. I'm setting this last one to check for fertility but I'm not expecting it to be fertile. My cockerel has been coming along as far as maturing but definitely immature. He puts a foot on a pullet that's squatted but I haven't seen him breeding just yet. I think I only have one pullet started laying so far but it's definitely White. A little larger each egg but still smaller than some of my other large fowl eggs. I'm just pleased it's white and looking forward to swapping some hatching eggs once I have proven fertility. I have 5 pullets. If any of them lay tinted, I will hatch those myself. The cockerels will be culled and the pullets bred back to their father. If all white, that will be perfect. Definitely wanting to swap eggs though, only white eggs.

It's not really round, I must have had it laying on the small end in this picture

Here's a close up of the egg, showing the whiteness and texture.
The first egg was a bit thin and the color wasn't that good because it was thin shelled.

Thank you for validating my Great-Uncle Marion! He and my Great-Aunt Eugenia were farmers in Colombia, TN and lived in this marvelous old southern plantation house complete with white columns and mimosa trees. They never had any children and Janet, my second cousin and I would go spend two weeks with them in the summer. The first week we would go to Florida and the next week we would have fun being farm kids. Aunt Eugenia, taught us to make clover chains. We made crowns and jumped rope with them. We helped dig potatoes and Uncle Marion showed me how when you harvest cabbage to cut off all the sucker heads but one and you could get a second harvest. He is the one who told me the difference between the barred and the cuckoo.

Oh and they taught us to play Bridge the Chess of Card games. He was a wonderful man, a WWI veteran, a member of one of the last military band units that actually took the field of battle with their instruments and their guns. He taught me to love farming. He was quiet, and funny and a little bit shy. He only stood about 5'5". He was probably 2 inches taller in his prime. He was a strong man even in his seventies and eighties. I would always give him a solid bear hug at the Christmas family get-together to let him know that I did not consider him an weak old man. He would always match the hug too and laugh. By this time I was almost as tall as him.

When the discussion of the barred vs. cuckoo came up I remembered what he had told me about it some 40 years ago. It all came flooding back in a rush and brought so many other wonderful memories with it. Thank you all for triggering that recall.

How cool is that! Thanks for sharing about your Great Uncle and Aunt. Wonderful memories to share
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom