Barred Holland breed of chickens

Hi, I'm late to this party. I am raising a flock of 26 Barred Holland I got from Sand Hill Preservation Center this month (we are in central KY). So far, they're all good and we hope to get them into a run by themselves soon. Is there anyone who can give me like a basic rundown of how this effort is going? I can't keep a rooster (or at least I'm not supposed to here in town), but I want to contribute in some way to saving the breed. Are they back from the brink?

Also, I just sent a join request to the Facebook group if anyone here is also in that crew.

Thanks

Hi, I'm late to this party. I am raising a flock of 26 Barred Holland I got from Sand Hill Preservation Center this month (we are in central KY). So far, they're all good and we hope to get them into a run by themselves soon. Is there anyone who can give me like a basic rundown of how this effort is going? I can't keep a rooster (or at least I'm not supposed to here in town), but I want to contribute in some way to saving the breed. Are they back from the brink?

Also, I just sent a join request to the Facebook group if anyone here is also in that crew.

Thanks
I am on the FB group and I can tell you that once you are on the page you will have a better idea of what is going on. This breed is definitely getting a lot of attention. Many people are getting from places like Sand Hill or the woman that started the FB group. Others are getting from Ideal and starting from the bottom. I just hatched some out last week and am so excited to raise them.

Definitely more activity on the FB group. Obviously you will need a rooster to breed. I don't know if it's the breed, but mine is not too loud and no where near as obnoxious as the neighbors bird down the road.
I have five from Ideal, including one roo. They have just started laying this week. Others have commented the hatchery stock has problems such as aggressive roosters, sometimes a few brown feathers, or not so white eggs. Maybe I got lucky cause so far my rooster is pretty cool and the first few eggs are really white. We will see with time but I'm happy so far.
They are not SOP either. The roosters comb is not a clean six point, and I beilieve they should be a bit larger bird altogether. For starters.
They are very friendly and curious compared to my other chickens. The breed has good potential. We all just need to focus on the right traits and breed like crazy.

Wow...finally finished reading all 45 pages! I have 10 BH eggs from Suzanne Holland (aka parish girl farms, hollandchicks) under my broody wyndottee on day 3 now with fingers crossed that the eggs made the treck from Louisiana to New York unscathed! I have been reading and stalking the FB page for awhile. I am excited to finally be syarying the journey with these beautiful birds. What ever happened with the conservancy? @Cheralee I am sorry to see that no one came to the get together. I wish I had known about it then. I would habe loved to chat with your speaker. Hopefully people are still interested.

Wow...finally finished reading all 45 pages! I have 10 BH eggs from Suzanne Holland (aka parish girl farms, hollandchicks) under my broody wyndottee on day 3 now with fingers crossed that the eggs made the treck from Louisiana to New York unscathed! I have been reading and stalking the FB page for awhile. I am excited to finally be syarying the journey with these beautiful birds. What ever happened with the conservancy? @Cheralee I am sorry to see that no one came to the get together. I wish I had known about it then. I would habe loved to chat with your speaker. Hopefully people are still interested.
I have some from her also. And I would have loved to go to the get together if it had been closer and I would have been off of work.

They are smaller birds than Barred Rocks. I have one girl from Suzanne's eggs There is a lady here in CA raising them I plan to get some from. My girl lays white eggs very quite not into flock politics excellent forager and all around good bird. The knocks on the breed are slow to mature, slightly smaller and my girl only lays a medium egg. (Most of the hatching eggs were of similar size though I did have a couple that were probably large.)

They would be a fantastic pastured bird. My girl went broody her first year. Hasnt yet this year. Not the friendliest bird if you are looking for hands on but could easily have been tamed if raised more hands on. (Not flighty or skitish)

They are smaller birds than Barred Rocks. I have one girl from Suzanne's eggs There is a lady here in CA raising them I plan to get some from. My girl lays white eggs very quite not into flock politics excellent forager and all around good bird. The knocks on the breed are slow to mature, slightly smaller and my girl only lays a medium egg. (Most of the hatching eggs were of similar size though I did have a couple that were probably large.)

They would be a fantastic pastured bird. My girl went broody her first year. Hasnt yet this year. Not the friendliest bird if you are looking for hands on but could easily have been tamed if raised more hands on. (Not flighty or skitish)
How many weeks before your pullets from Suzanne started laying?
I plan on raising mine on pasture and they seem to fit the description perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom