Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
I'm excited about this boy! He's 5 months old and the second generation from my Gracie Mae line. Great comb, feet, color...just waiting to see how big he gets. I'll be using him for next year's hatch.

Looking good PF! Handsome boy!
thumbsup.gif

S
I'm excited about this boy! He's 5 months old and the second generation from my Gracie Mae line. Great comb, feet, color...just waiting to see how big he gets. I'll be using him for next year's hatch.
So jealous! :). The tyrant rooster that I have right now had to be put in solitary. He was chasing everyone and attacking my kids. Unfortunately, the 5 Sandhill chicks I picked up last week are my next generation of hope. I am crossing my fingers that I have at least 2 Roos, but I feel like I need to keep the Gracie Mae roo around to make sure I have some kind of options for next spring. In the meantime, he gives me the stink eye every chance he gets. :(

S

So jealous!
smile.png
. The tyrant rooster that I have right now had to be put in solitary. He was chasing everyone and attacking my kids. Unfortunately, the 5 Sandhill chicks I picked up last week are my next generation of hope. I am crossing my fingers that I have at least 2 Roos, but I feel like I need to keep the Gracie Mae roo around to make sure I have some kind of options for next spring. In the meantime, he gives me the stink eye every chance he gets.
sad.png

Well, I am sure I will have extra roos in this hatch as about 19 or so ended up hatching! Same background as your tyrant.
wink.png

I have a roo in solitary confinement for the same reason. Actually my two others have developed a similar attitude very recently. Hopefully it is just temporary. The boys and I are going to spend some quality time together each day. Maybe the bonding will help to improve their attitudes. I'll let you know how the therapy goes.

I realized that while this is my third rooster, I haven't had a rooster while the hens were sexually mature, but not laying, like last fall. I wasn't sure if the animosity towards me was partially frustration because NONE of the hens want bothered by him. I had 8 hens, a young pullet and 2 bantam hens and he couldn't get anyone interested at all. On top of that, the new Hollands learned quickly that when I go outside, my girls run straight for me. Food isn't far behind. So, was he unsure about my role? I am not sure. I pitied him and tried to give him lots of space and time, but he flogged me. I corrected him, went through the steps. He avoided me and flogged my 11 yr old. *Shrug* Who knows? If you do have quite a few Roos, I am most certainly dispatching him and looking for a Gracie Mae replacement.

Back
Top Bottom