Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
I'm not sure if what I am about to say is true but here goes anyway. I have always liked to keep a roo or two with my flock. So I've had Australorp, Orpington, Barred Rock, Maran. etc roos at one time or another. What I think I've found is that when I have a single roo and a bunch of hens thing seem to be good. When I've had multiple roos and a bunch of hens the boys seem to be a little crabby. That being said, last year I gave away all of my hens as they were getting older and winter was coming. I also had 3 young barred rock roos that I kept for several months after getting rid of my hens. The were the three amigos and were as nice and friendly as can be. So I guess I either need to get rid of all but one of my boys or get rid of all of my girls. I don't think either of those are going to be happening.

I'm not sure if what I am about to say is true but here goes anyway. I have always liked to keep a roo or two with my flock. So I've had Australorp, Orpington, Barred Rock, Maran. etc roos at one time or another. What I think I've found is that when I have a single roo and a bunch of hens thing seem to be good. When I've had multiple roos and a bunch of hens the boys seem to be a little crabby. That being said, last year I gave away all of my hens as they were getting older and winter was coming. I also had 3 young barred rock roos that I kept for several months after getting rid of my hens. The were the three amigos and were as nice and friendly as can be. So I guess I either need to get rid of all but one of my boys or get rid of all of my girls. I don't think either of those are going to be happening.
We raised about 100 chicks this year, so I had about 50 cockerels to choose from. I looked for the SOP qualities, but also I wanted a boy that wasn't at the top of the pecking order. Our top rooster has a very nice temperament and I'm hoping that because "Junior" is used to being second fiddle, he will develop a similarly docile demeanor. So far, so good. (We had a bully rooster a couple years ago and I'm trying not to repeat that experience.)

My first go!
I have 15 eggs from mhollow in my incubator, eight days in now. I'm using a Brinsea Octagon 20 with automatic controls and the humidity pump, and the combination is doing a great job of keeping everything consistent. And yet, I am a nervous wreck.
The directions say after 7 days set the controls so that the eggs cool for 2 hours every day. I started yesterday.
All thoughts are welcome, and positive karma sent my way greatly appreciated.
Thanks mhollow!

My first go!
I have 15 eggs from mhollow in my incubator, eight days in now. I'm using a Brinsea Octagon 20 with automatic controls and the humidity pump, and the combination is doing a great job of keeping everything consistent. And yet, I am a nervous wreck.
The directions say after 7 days set the controls so that the eggs cool for 2 hours every day. I started yesterday.
All thoughts are welcome, and positive karma sent my way greatly appreciated.
Thanks mhollow!
How are things going so far? Are you going to try and candle them this weekend?

Cross Creek, I've hatched my Barred Hollands under broody game hens for two years so I have no experience with them in the Brinsea. Back in march I found a Brinsea Oct auto with humidity pump on craigslist. On June 1st I set 12 Bourbon Red eggs in the Brinsea. On June 3rd I went to Illinois to work for three weeks, came home and bottom water res was dry, humidity kinda low. Seven hatched five are still here. I think the bator is a good one, mostly set it and forget it. My hatch was a long drawn out procedure but if you are around to tend the bator I gotta believe its a good one, based on my limited experience. Quack

I placed a few BH eggs in the incubator about 3 weeks ago. My intent was to check for fertility and then dispose of the eggs as I did not want to raise chicks through the cold and snow that we get here in western New York. Well my wife had other ideas. She discouraged me from disposing of them. As of this evening the hatching has started and should continue through the next several days. I am expecting up to 12 chicks. I'm looking for someone interested in "adopting" whatever chicks I hatch provided they are willing to pay for all shipping charges (postal and box). I will ship all chicks a couple of weeks after the hatch is finished. I would be most interested in someone with an interest in the Barred Holland breed that may not already have them (however, I am open to all possibilities). Send a PM if interested. All chicks will come from white shelled eggs only. This is a one-time opportunity and no replacements will be given for loss during shipping.

Hi All! I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been utilizing the BYC site for some and recently decided to go ahead and join. I have really enjoyed reading through this thread in particular. I'm hoping to get some Barred Hollands in the not too distant future. Once I do I'm sure I will be looking to this group for advice!

Dbcaldwell78- Welcome!

Mhollow- it was great chatting with you about Hollands, and sorry it started to ramble at the end. :)

MsLadyHawke- How did the latest show go? I owe you some info.

My Sandhill chicks are growing nicely, and I think I have 3 Roos in that little bunch. I am fighting bumblefoot in 3 of my Holland hens, both bantams, the Orpington and an Australorp. I have no idea how this happened, and it's my first time seeing it. There are obvious, developed scabs to pink, slightly swollen feet without any scabs. *sigh*. My vet is fascinated, and I may have a professional as my assistant!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Last edited:
Cheralee,
Thanks for contacting me. It is always nice to chat with fellow BH breeders. As we dicussed last evening, it would be nice to get a group together for a face to face sometime in the not so distant future. I'll definitely keep in touch.
mhollow

Back
Top Bottom