Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics

These are the Gracie Mae hens I was telling you about, MHollow.

*Sigh* Get the camera out and nobody wants to cooperate.

This is one of the Sandhill chicks that I believe to be male.

These are all of the Sandhill chicks I have (born Sept 19-ish) Can you see what I meant about color variation? The comb on the darkest chick is still small and yellow.

These are the roos (I think) and the comb on the pale grey one just started to turn pink. I am back and forth about that one's gender.

I thought for awhile that the darkest one and the pale on pictured in the back here are little girls. I will just have to wait it out.

The Sandhills chicks seem to have cleaner barring. The males are always lighter because of the barring gene. I believe the males get 2 and the girls get 1. Besides that those Sandhills birds appear to have cleaner bars. They sure seem worth working with.

Mine have definitely slowed down but have not completely stopped laying yet. We are getting an egg every other day or so. I expect them to stop soon.

Mine have definitely slowed down but have not completely stopped laying yet. We are getting an egg every other day or so. I expect them to stop soon.
Not used to nothing, my Langshans slow down a little, but don't outright quit laying. Geez, was hoping to set some Holland eggs for this years NYD hatch, but I guess that won't be happening!
sad.png

Just wondering how everyone's Hollands are doing. I noticed several posted that theirs have slowed down on the laying. I guess the cold weather is the culprit?
Is anyone besides us further south? Our three groups are still going strong, but we will not start breeding until the early Spring.
Suzanne Holland

Just wondering how everyone's Hollands are doing. I noticed several posted that theirs have slowed down on the laying.  I guess the cold weather is the culprit?
 Is anyone besides us further south? Our three groups are still going strong, but we will not start breeding until the early Spring.  
Suzanne Holland

Mine did start up laying again. Not as much as before, but i am getting enough that i am giving someone near me, who is doing the NYD hatch, some eggs.

Aside from the four that were in the shipping box when I received my Gracie Mae's, we had not seen anything from our Hollands. My Australorps gave up in late August as well. My single Orpington hung on until mid-October. Temps in PA have been all over the place, but I started seeing an egg from each of them every day about a week ago. The Orpington is back at it and the Sandhill pullet I hatched this spring finally laid her first egg, too! If the Australorps stay on last year's schedule, I should see eggs from them starting next week, too. I haven't done much, just a heat lamp on overnight occasionally and I put 3 dummy eggs in the coop to let the new girls know how we do things. :)

Back
Top Bottom