Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Hello Everyone! I just wanted to let you know I had a calendar made of our special needs Barred Holland Rooster, Bob the Chicken. He was a very special boy, suffered from wry neck (from birth) but lived a full and active life anyway. He recently passed :( and this calendar is a celebration of his life. If you are interested in getting a copy for yourself, or maybe for a gift, you can find it by following this link: http://www.thepocketfarmer.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html. Thank you. :)

Any difference in the laying habits from earlier posters? All of mine are now at an egg a day. Unfortunately, I had to treat them and they decided to all start cranking out eggs during the withdrawal period. Already had to dispose of 40 eggs, and then go buy some for cookie making. :( Not cool. Take care!

Happy New Year everyone!
My daughters Barred Hollands are doing great. The girls are laying like crazy. The roosters have developed very well and we have divided out who gets to stay for the spring.
Hope all is well with all of you and that this is a great year for the Barred Holland breed.

Suzanne Holland

We will be making the call on our roosters soon. I think 3 will be good to work with right now - 4 is one too many... Anyone interested in a Sandhill cockerel?

I am also working on plans for a new coop. I would like it to include broody areas and an area for chicks to grow before joining the flock. Has anyone ever seen coops that try to be all-in-one?

I would appreciate any input that ANY one wants to throw out there. I have 4 roosters from my portion of a Sandhill chick order. I am thinking of keeping three of them, but am considering just two to make sure I can make room for any promising youngsters from this summer's hatches. I have assigned them labels L1, L2, D1 & D3 where L & D only stand for light and dark. Please let me know what you think as well as your opinion of the quality of the Sandhill birds in general.

Oops, that should be late 09/13... She is the same age as the boys.

Last edited:
My apologies to everyone, especially mhollow, for not posting about the Barred Holland eggs I received from him. Life has been crazy.
I hatched 5 chicks, 3 roos and 2 hens.
The chicks at 4 weeks:

At 5 1/2 weeks:

With their new coop:

These last photos are several weeks old, they're looking like mature chickens now and are much prettier. I'll take more and post them as soon as I can.
Thank you mholland for your help in getting me started with this wonderful breed.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. I didn't have time to read through all of the posts but I did read through the most recent ones. I have barred Hollands that I have had for about 2 years (I think lol) and they are all Sandhill lines. I think they are beautiful and I am going to separate them this week so I can start hatching some more soon. I will post some pics of mine as soon as I am able (3 kids and 7 months pregnant doesn't make anything easy to get done :) I look forward to chatting with you all about our beautiful birds. Have a great day.

Hi, just wanted to stop by and join in the conversation here. I also have some BH from Sandhill lines. I have several hens and 3 Roos that I am going to be separating from my other birds this week in order to be able I hatch some eggs this spring. All that I have hatched out so far have been very nice so I cannot wait to see what I get this spring. Hope to talk to you all soon.
Jen

Cheralee and Cross Creek, the birds in your photos look great. Thanks to both of you for sharing. It's been a snowy and cold winter here and I can't wait for some nice weather. My BH flock is in pretty rough shape right now. Hopefully spring is right around the corner.

Back
Top Bottom