Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Hi everyone. How are your flocks making out this winter. Here in western New York it is extremely cold and snowy. We have well over a foot on the ground and temperatures rarely make it above the teens. Last week it was -23 degrees at 7am. My flock is struggling with the temps in their unheated coop. I have added cracked corn to their ration of grain for the added fat. Keeping waterers thawed is also tough. I keep thinking that spring is right around the corner however I am probably just kidding myself. Will any of you have chicks/eggs available this spring? There seems to be some new interest in the BH breed. I have had multiple emails from prospective breeders during the last few months. Hopefully, we will get some newbies involved in this endeavor. Charalee, I like the looks of L1 in the pics you posted. If I had to choose one it would be L1. It seems to have the right body shape and leg color. Dawn, your young flock looks great. It sure looks like you have a great start (of course I am a bit biased).

I am not that far from you and I am struggling as well with the weather. For whatever reason, when we have a period of nice weather and the girls get to go out, I know that one lingers outside overnight. I don't know why, but at bedtime they are nowhere to be found. Egg production is all over the place and I had to dub L1's comb because of frostbite. (Wow, not something I want to repeat.). I have been approached by quite a few people, too. Some are very kind, have experience with poultry, etc. Others are very rude. This will be my first summer with some development and I am hesitant to sell or swap any birdsI get until I can see what kind of results I get in my hatching. I had a few people who didn't understand that and became very angry. I am torn. I would like to see the breed develop, but seriously? Why would I sell what I haven't even seen? I have arrangements with two people out of about 20. Both are understanding and I think we will be able to work together.

I am hosting the first (that I know of) Barred Hollands breeder get-together. I have been talking to some relevant media outlets, and am looking to lineup some poultry judges, an LC (ALBC) rep, a farm-to-table dinner at a great local restaurant and lodgings. After I have an idea of how many we can gather, I can post the details. Please, please, PLEASE consider coming.

What: Barred Hollands Breeder/Enthusiast get-together
When: August 16-17, 2014
Where: Slippery Rock, PA (conveniently only 15 mintues from two major highways) ;)
Why: It's really time to come together and pool knowledge, resources and ideas.
How: You can certainly drive, fly into PIT airport if you would like to, or carpool. I have an enormous house and yard to stay here or camp in the yard. There is also a major chain hotel only 10 minutes away if you would prefer to stay there.

If possible, I might also be able to do some podcasts and get them out to our western counterparts if they can't make it.

PM for my phone number if you have any questions!

Welcome! The conservation approach that saved the Buckeye has been much stronger than the one for the Hollands, I think. The ALBC made the Buckeye a priority from what I heard with even staff members hatching chicks! You'll find that the Hollands don't have such a large following, but we're pretty passionate. :D Are you hoping to do some breeding for the standard or just increase numbers? How did you get involved with the Buckeyes?

Last edited:
Having trouble finding barred hollands. I bought 25 chicks from Ideal. Wasn't really happy with the turnout. About half came out solid black. Only one of the roos didn't have white ears. I think I got the one roo and 3 hens out of the 25 that are even somewhat close. I'd like to acquire quite a few more but don't know a good source. Thoughts?

I can tell you that I split an order of 17 from Sandhill Preserve and my partner had the same problem. He took 12 and he ended up with 7 all-black birds, with Linda from Sandhill telling him twice that he did receive all Hollands. My five are in the pictures above. If I were to get more birds, I would seek out other breeders. You are in a good place to start.

Welcome to the BH thread jmcdan. It is always a pleasure to be able to welcome new folks to the BH world. The BH breed needs as many advocates as possible. If you are looking for chicks/eggs, you have good timing. I would expect that you will begin to see offers of eggs for sale as the weather improves. I recommend checking out the classified section of the BYC forums if you haven't already. You can search them to identify people who have had eggs for sale in the past. Good Luck. Let us know how you make out.

Back
Top Bottom