Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Hello All,
I have not posted for a while because I have been busy, but I am listed with the AL BC as having Barred Hollands. I have culled down to three breeding sets and I am getting geared up for the Spring. I have two sets that come from white eggs that are laying white eggs. Their legs are a lovely yellow and the combs look nice with six points . I will be working on size and egg color. The third set all came from white eggs --hens are laying lt cream eggs but the hens hatched out with the rooster are laying white eggs (all from same breeder) so that rooster will breed this group for improved egg color.

It is nice to see an effort to work together. My concern -- and I voiced this to the ALBC was that I couldn't get anyone to share info. or co-operate . I believe that it is going to take a great deal of effort , time,, and co-operation to bring this breed back .
As of right now, I do not have eggs or birds to sell. I plan to begin having them available later this year to people locally or those willing to pickup. It of course is riding on the up coming hatches.
I am interested in the pod cast if you make that available
Suzanne Holland
Saint Francisville,La

I'll have to look up Saint Francisville. I'm in Texas. I'm always looking for a good road trip!

Hello from a fairly newbie! I have 2 Barred Hollands from Sandhill. They are my friendliest hens. One is laying a light cream egg and one is laying white eggs. I would LOVE to buy more females and eventually a rooster (right now they will be living in a mixed flock and I already have 2 roosters, so a BH boy will have to wait). I'd like to work towards becoming an exclusive BH breeder within the next few years to help save the breed. I'm looking for about 6-12 females now -- does anyone here plan to have any available between now and June? Thanks!
Kristen in NH

I received a message from the woman who got me interested in Hollands. She is getting rid of all of her animals and asked if I was interested in the Hollands. On one hand, I was excited to add more and that she thought enough of me to offer them. On the other hand, I was saddened at the loss of another "Hollander". We are so few that the loss of even one is tough. I think there are 4-5 hens and 2 roosters. I know she started with Sandhill birds. After I get them here and take a look at her boys (who were very friendly the last time I visited - like, willing to eat out of my hand and I could roam amongst the flock type of friendly- I will post some photos. Perhaps I will be able to offer a few roosters if anyone needs them. I have three straight Sandhill eggs from my birds under a broody hen and I have about 9 days left until hatching. They were the first I collected and have tried to hatch from my young roosters. If all goes well, I will be collecting more from the Gracie Mae girls soon. I will keep everyone posted.

I'll have to look up Saint Francisville. I'm in Texas. I'm always looking for a good road trip!

Hi jmcdan! I'm from Texas as well. I live just outside of Sulphur Springs, which is east of Dallas and north of Tyler. Where are you located? It would be nice to know some other BH breeders who are somewhat local. However, I know Texas is a big state. Worth a shot, though.

I'm in Carmine, TX. About 20 minutes west of Brenham.

I'm currently on a few acres on the highway which is where I keep my pigs and chickens. I also have a 30 acre patch where I run a few cows. Will be moving a few mile up the road hopefully by June 1. It's 77 acres. Once I get there I'll be ready to really start generating some chickens.

I've got barns for the pigs and cows. I'll put nesting boxes in with the pigs (they protect the chickens from coyotes and such) where my free range chickens will stay. I will also be converting an old smoke house into two separate coops for my breeding chickens. I don't plan on keeping them in their all year, but at least a couple of months to acquire some good eggs to hatch. So, I'm thinking mid-late July I'll have chicks hatching!!

I went up your way a few years ago to purchase some turkeys. Outside of Tyler but I don't remember the name of the town. Also purchased a blue ribbon Delaware rooster from the State Fair a few years back. Lots of nice chickens up that way.

Of 25 or so Barred Hollands that I originally purchased I kept 1 rooster and 2 hens. So, I'm really just getting started with them. On the other hand, I've been raising Delawares for about 7-8 years and I'll be hatching out lots of them hopefully.

Jesse

Hey Jesse! Thanks for your reply. I am just starting out with Barred Hollands as well. I got eight chicks from mhollow, who is on this thread, last fall. Please do let me know when you hatch some BH chicks.

Thanks,
Danny

I received a message from the woman who got me interested in Hollands. She is getting rid of all of her animals and asked if I was interested in the Hollands. On one hand, I was excited to add more and that she thought enough of me to offer them. On the other hand, I was saddened at the loss of another "Hollander". We are so few that the loss of even one is tough. I think there are 4-5 hens and 2 roosters. I know she started with Sandhill birds. After I get them here and take a look at her boys (who were very friendly the last time I visited - like, willing to eat out of my hand and I could roam amongst the flock type of friendly- I will post some photos. Perhaps I will be able to offer a few roosters if anyone needs them. I have three straight Sandhill eggs from my birds under a broody hen and I have about 9 days left until hatching. They were the first I collected and have tried to hatch from my young roosters. If all goes well, I will be collecting more from the Gracie Mae girls soon. I will keep everyone posted.

I might be interested in a rooster Cheralee. Let me know.
Michelle

It's nice to see activity on this thread once again. Welcome back everyone. I just finished hatching a whole batch of BH chicks. 16 new chicks in the brooder and a whole new batch of eggs into the incubator for round two. I hope to hatch 2 additional batches for myself this spring and maybe another in the fall. Good luck on your own hatching/breeding projects to all of you.

Hello! hope you can help answer a question for me. My sister is moving to slippery rock and isn't sure what the city regs are for keeping backyard chickens. Where can she find out if she is allowed them?

That depends on whether she is moving to the borough or the township. It also depends on what her property is zoned. Slippery Rock, PA, huh? That will be nice to have a BYC neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom