Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Beanhead's Barred Hollands!! These 7 little guys wanted out a day early and hatched Saturday!

This was our first go at hatching eggs. We got 16 from msladyhawke, and at day 7 candling, we had 7 forming, and all 7 hatched in our borrowed Little Giant. We cant wait to hatch more, I wish we could now, but we just have too many ages of birds, and cant keep them all together and not enough infrastructure to keep splitting them up. Hopefully this fall we'll try again.

One thing we've noticed this first week, these little kids are VERY TALKATIVE! Atleast compared to the other chicks we had, ( Ameraucana,Delaware,Marans,Welsummers). Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks again to msladyhawke!! Check out our posts about them on facebook!

Congratulations to everyone hatching new little Hollands. Nothing beats watching a rare breed chick pip it's way into the world.
Please take time to participate on the group page I set up for us on Facebook. There are actually two places to share and discuss.
I thought it would be great if we could use one for problem solving and helpful breed info. https://www.facebook.com/groups/barredhollandbreed/

And this other one could be for. Sale-trade- show
www.facebook.com/Barredholland
Thank you
Suzanne Holland

They look fantastic! I love the barring! I put 28 eggs in the incubator last week and after candling there are 18. I believe I collected too long after removing the rooster, so probably 30-50% of the duds were't even fertile. I am so excited about the fertility from my Sandhill rooster. The electric fencing went up and the girls are so excited to be able to be out and roam (somewhat). I should be able to determine who is who from my June 21st hatch soon, too. I can't wait to see everyone in August!

I don't have an agenda broken down by times, but I hope to have introductions and share flock information. Craig is supposed to talk about his experience with Hollands in the 1970s. I think comparing notes on the history of Hollands would also be beneficial because I hear a lot of different theories and people saying they spoke to experts, but haven't heard any names or dates. We'll discuss the breeding guidelines suggested by the ALBC for sure. We'll be having some drawings for started birds, chicks or eggs from two different lines. I don't have a head count, but I don't believe we are going to really need Sunday for much. I am also hoping that there are real conversations about forming a breed club. There will be some people new to poultry, so some hands on demos are a good idea. A few breakout sections could be thrown in. Honestly, I am hoping that others bring up topics and stimulate conversations. That might make it difficult to record as far as making it available later, but we'll see how it goes. What do you want to see? I can't find an APA judge willing to come because they've "never seen Hollands". You would think they would be excited to meet US! I am open to suggestions.

When you know for sure, give me a heads up. My only uncertainty is what time to get started in the morning. If you know what time you'll get here, that will be helpful. :). See you soon!

Back
Top Bottom