Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
It doesn't seem people have much luck shipping eggs.
I was hoping someone from the west coast would jump in. This thread doesn't see much activity lately?
Timing doesn't matter much to me, although April would be preferred.
Caychris-- looks like I'm about two hours east of you on Hwy4. I'm pretty set on some hollands and will probably make an order with Ideal if I don't locate another source. I might be willing to share or we could help each other out later on.

I'm in Central Indiana, and have an interest only, neither eggs nor birds. I, too, keep following the thread hoping for the activity to kick up.

It ebbs and flows. Several years ago, I tried to set something up to have everyone get together, if they were able. I had a speaker who had worked on Hollands in the 1970s. Nobody came. That really dampens any enthusiasm I had, you know? Some very active breeders no longer have birds. If you want it to be more active, you have to be more active.
1f609.png

It ebbs and flows. Several years ago, I tried to set something up to have everyone get together, if they were able. I had a speaker who had worked on Hollands in the 1970s. Nobody came. That really dampens any enthusiasm I had, you know? Some very active breeders no longer have birds. If you want it to be more active, you have to be more active.
1f609.png
With so few breeders its really hard even Parish Farmgirls FB page is limited in activity though she responds better there.

They really are a breed that is supported by love though as they are not the fastest, largest or the most prolific nor large egg layers.

But they are a great heritage breed for pasture or homestead. (even backyard) My girl is generally quiet and a good forager and she went broody last year. Fairly docile (except when guarding chicks) I think she is great. Not a bird I would choose for production qualities but a bird that you can definitely build a sustainable homestead around.

Anyone close to virginia with a flock of good to almost standard? I would like to buy chicks and help get their numbers up. New to raising chickens so maybe getting some feed store birds would be better first but still would like to help get this breed out of danger.

You could be waiting a while for Barred Hollands, I have been looking for a while now. It is awesome that instead of diving in by purchasing low quality hatchery chicks that you want to start off with something rare. You could try to find some other rare heritage breeds in the mean time like Delawarew if you are wanting to go ahead and gain experience.

I found some but can only get eggs or have to drive forever to get chicks. willing to do it but that is going to be expensive. Worth it but expensive.

Last edited:
*EDITED 3/20/17*
I am seriously considering selling my flock. I have a rooster and 8 hens. The hens vary from Gracie Mae lines, a good Sandhill, some from a closed flock down south (I would have to check with MHollow) and two I hatched from a BH roo and Australorp hen. Eggs range from stark white to a very pale almond (Australorp crosses). I haven't found a BH rooster yet that wasn't a jerk and frankly, I am just tired of going it alone. I am in western PA and would be willing to sell them to someone with experience with chickens. I have had Hollands for several years and worked to assemble this flock from multiple sources for genetic diversity. I do not care to risk them on a beginner. I'm sorry.

Please email me at cheralees@gmail dot com if interested.

*EDITED* I am asking $225 for the entire group. I will ship at buyer's expense, or will meet within 75 miles of my home, again at buyer's expense.*

Last edited:
I am seriously considering selling my flock. I have a rooster and approx 10 hens. The hens vary from Gracie Mae lines, a good Sandhill, some from a closed flock down south (I would have to check with MHollow) and two I hatched from a BH roo and Australorp hen. Eggs range from stark white to a very pale almond (Australorp crosses). I haven't found a BH rooster yet that wasn't a jerk and frankly, I am just tired of going it alone. I am in western PA and would be willing to sell them to someone with experience with chickens. I have had Hollands for several years and worked to assemble this flock from multiple sources for genetic diversity. I do not care to risk them on a beginner. I'm sorry.

Please email me at cheralees@gmail dot com if interested.

I sent you an email

My source is LA and she would send eggs or you cn drive and meet for chicks. If you get this other flock let me know. I got some speckled sussex and a few ducks. Spending about 700 to fix up a small shed and build a run and tractor for them. Still interested in the hollands but gaining my experience here first. Will be watching though. Also there was a place in ny selling chicks but they had few and most were spoken for. So you are not alone. I will post the name later when i cannget to my email.

Back
Top Bottom