Barred Holland breed of chickens

The barring looks good, Not sure if its the perspective of the pic or the chickens, they look long necked. Now I'm gonna have to go out and look at mine again to see if they have that too. I would like to see the wing carried more horizontal.Have you got any weights? I suspect mine all are on the light side, but haven't weighed them yet. I really don't like critiquing from pictures, it is so not like seeing the bird in person.

Here is a picture of a young cockerel and pullet. The judges I have talked to have had basically the same thing to say, that the type is pretty good, but needs more size.

10901_bhp.jpg

10901_bhk.jpg

Quote:
Now that you mention it, it does resemble a Labradoodle..... I am not an expert on Hollands, but they look as nice as Jen's, which I have seen. I have visited her farm and obsewrved them at Crossroads. At the very least it is a start.

The idea is to exchange hatching eggs or birds with others and do an outcross to another strain of Barred Hollands. The ALBC has advised you use no other outcross than each others strains of Barred Hollands. They did this with the Buckeyes and look what happened. Learn more about this outcross at http://www.albc-usa.org/EducationalResources/chickens.html

Yes, I see the long neck thing too! I think they are long necked, although they could be stretching out to me because I'm pointing the camera at them. I would definitely share eggs, and even saw some Barred Holland eggs for auction on BYC just last week. We ordered an incubator, and are putting in another run, trying to get it in before the ground freezes.

Jimsfarmstamd: thanks for the Albc website reference, what a great source of information! I'll definitely use that when choosing which hens to cull. My problem is going to be in figuring out whose egg is whose... I can hardly find them as it is, much less figure out which hen laid it!

We've gotten no Barred Holland eggs yesterday, OR today.... Which means those ladies have found a place to lay that I can't find... Arrrrgh!

Well, I carried some of my Barred Hollands to the Pelican Classic at Haynesville, Louisiana yesterday. Of course, I took best of variety and best of breed!
lau.gif
I had some good discussions with some folks about them, though.

We are going to have to get a 4H member to get some eggs from you....just so you have some competition!

We spent the day placing wire on coops, shopping and running errands for the wife. Maybe next year .....

Look on the bright side....you placed Best of Variety and Best of Breed at every show you have taken them to. Not once have they been disqualified. In rare breeds with few being shown, that is almost a better victory than Best of Show!

Hi all.

I ordered Barred Holland eggs from Duane Urch but the four I rec'd (ordered 6) had separated air cells and did not develop. Yes, his eggs were true white.

I would really like to help with this breeding project as I'd love a large white egg layer that doesn't look or act like a Leghorn (great layers but flighty and lightweight.) If anyone might have eggs - even half dozen - available this spring/summer, I'd love to try hatching them again. Need to NPIP/AI clean flocks -- I'm signing on to the program and will be tested soon.

Thanks!

Hello All!

I am also raising Barred Hollands, I have 6 hens and one rooster that are 1 year old, purchased from Ideal Poultry last year. I love the breed! The temperament, size, color, etc all seem typical of the breed. The only problem I have is the eggs are not white. Mine are more of light brown, med-large in size. I am currently raising the second generation from this roo and all of the hens to see if perhaps I can improve on the egg color situation. Since I only have one roo, I'll need another for sure. But would it be better to replace hens for egg color or roosters? I'd be interested in getting hatching eggs for this purpose. Please let me know what is available. Thank you!

hello Pocket Farmer, I've got Barred Hollands and would be more than happy to share eggs, but I'm afraid I would not help your project as my girls are laying a cream colored egg and not a true white. Jen Scott's got a good thing going, I'd get eggs from her if I were you, and it seems she's a bit closer ;)

Back
Top Bottom