Barred Holland breed of chickens

Hi Martha, thanks for the response! Love to connect with other chicken people!
smile.png

I sent Jen a pm, so hopefully she can help with the hatching eggs. Personally, I don't mind the egg color and the chickens are wonderful! I just figured I'd give it a shot since there aren't that many and this is the only breed I am working with. We just got in from building another grow out pen for my Spring babies! Love this time of year!

Hi Jen,

I'm also working to improve my BH flock toward the breed standard. Currently my hens are laying creamy colored eggs, not true white. I've just hatched out their babies so I won't know for 4 months if I have better egg color or not. In any case, I'd like to diversify the line and am looking for hatching eggs toward that purpose. If you have been successful getting white eggs I'd be interested in getting some hatching eggs from you. Please put me on the list.
smile.png
Thank you!

Jen, Dr. Bramwell told us at the Incubation Seminar that after 48 hours the eggs are fertile from the new male. Check with Buffbeauty, she may recall more about than I can.

For my purposes, I will not wait three weeks, but so many have heard otherwise that it would be safer to wait to sell to others so there is no question.

Hello, I saw this thread and was interested because I'm from Holland. There were many lovely birds in the pictures, but I think you've got another standard for this breed then we have (no judgement, just an observation). Perhaps you'll find it interesting to see the dutch version the Noord-Hollands Hoen at http://www.anhbc.nl/noordhollandseblauwe_groot.html (the breed club).

We judge cuckoo and barred as different manifestations of the same factor at our shows. Cuckoo is where the barring is made up of dark grey and light grey stripes, rather rough. Barred is a more selected version of the cuckoo and there the colour is almost black and white striped in a more finer way.

Hello, I saw this thread and was interested because I'm from Holland. There were many lovely birds in the pictures, but I think you've got another standard for this breed then we have (no judgement, just an observation). Perhaps you'll find it interesting to see the dutch version the Noord-Hollands Hoen at http://www.anhbc.nl/noordhollandseblauwe_groot.html (the breed club).

We judge cuckoo and barred as different manifestations of the same factor at our shows. Cuckoo is where the barring is made up of dark grey and light grey stripes, rather rough. Barred is a more selected version of the cuckoo and there the colour is almost black and white striped in a more finer way.

Welcome, to
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Hi, JK, and welcome to BYC. Actually, your holland was used to create the first American Holland, the white, but is a different breed. These were developed in the 40's to produce a dual purpose WHITE EGG breed. I sure would like to see that barring in the American Hollands, but the standard calls for the dominique-type barring.

Hello everyone, I've recently started admiring BHs and am anxiously awaiting 4-13-12, when my chicks will arrive from Ideal!
Scott
Obsessed in Louisiana :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom