Barred Langshan Project *Updates*

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
I took some photos of my Barred Langshan project cockerel...thought you'd like to see how he's shaping up. He's only 12 weeks old, but still thought you'd like to see:

PoultryShows023.jpg

PoultryShows031.jpg

Leg feathering: (Yeah, it needs some work...)
PoultryShows024.jpg

Stomach/Ventral view:
PoultryShows025.jpg

Let me know what you think, but please realize this is just the F1 generation!

Last edited:
Quote:
Me too. I'm impressed.

Poor little guy needs to grow some feathers though! He's half nekkid!
smile.png

-Cindy in MA

big_smile.png
The longer he takes to feather in, the better he'll be!

As a comparison, here is a Barred Plymouth Rock cockerel that's 3 weeks older than he is:
PoultryShows029.jpg

PoultryShows028.jpg

As you can see, the F1 bird has a ways to go to reach the barring I want him to have.

Hey ya'll,
This is the only thread I could find that even mentioned barred langshans, so I figured I'd ask here.
A few months back, at the Newnan Georgia Show, We bought a trio of black bantam langshans from Dick Horstman. We hatched some of the eggs, and much to our surprise, we got the chick in this picture. It looked 'normal' when first hatched, but is feathering out in a barred pattern. Any thoughts on this? We're not sure what to make of it.

Took this pic today, the chick is about 4 weeks old, think it's a cockerel.

BarredLangshan004.jpg

Yes, it looks to be a cockerel!

What color are the legs? Way back when, Forrest was making a Barred Langshan, had a good start to it also! It happened when he bred a black to a white, somehow the barring gene popped up.

Now, it's also possible that since you purchased at a show, he "might" have had the females in with a barred bantam of some sort before the show. This would give mixed babies. I don't know how Mr. Horstman runs his breeding pens, but the sparse leg feathering leads me to believe that this is the case.

Back
Top Bottom