Barred lost A LOT of feathers

messianicmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
My Barred hen, a year old, has lost almost all of her stomach feathers and underneath her wings. She also looks like she has less on an area of her back, about midway, where her back end goes into the tail end. It's hard to explain-about halfway back at the natural dip.
She's the best layer/sitter and I'm wondering if that is why, esp. with the heat that it's been here in Ga.

She's the only one experiencing this.

Any suggestions? She's such a sweet, productive one. Other than this, her behavior is normal.

Rachel

I have a barred rock with the same pattern loss. She started becoming bare over the winter. I believe that there was some feather eating within the flock. All rear ends are bare, but poor naked chicken looks terrible. I upped the protien in their diet and they are ranging more now that winter ended. I think I might have a molt started and feathers are finally growing back well. Good luck.

One of my hens has almost all of her stomach feathers. I was told It could be from siting or mites.
D.gif

Last edited:
Well, we did a thorough cleaning of the coop Friday. I put DE in, as I usually do; I don't know what else to do.
It's amazing how absolutely bare those areas are.
Hopefully, they will come back in, soon. I don't really know when it started, but we didn't notice it until the spring/summer and my children pick them up almost daily so
they would've noticed.

Rachel

Visually inspect all your chickens for lice/mites, especially around the vent area and under their wings. If they are about 1 year old or older, it could be molt and will stop laying.

Back
Top Bottom