BARRED OWL FLIES INTO GARAGE TO ATTEMPT TAKING CHICKS IN BROODER

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Tonight I left garage door open making to brooder can be seen and accessed from outside. A barred owl actually flew into garage. I was alerted to owl's presence by dogs that actually caught owl and had it pinned down. I was surprised to have owl actually fly into garage. No losses incurred, even on side of owl. Owl did put talons to me when I picked it up. It weighed much less than it would appear based on appearance.

Owing to how brooder is constructed I doubt owl could have gotten in even if allowed more time. Chicks were very much frightened by ordeal. Dogs had fun.

Barred owl. Feather was its own. Even as held for photograph it stared at chicks in brooder so a very focussed critter.

Last edited:
ep.gif
I wonder if the owl was released from captivity by a wildlife re-hab place so, being that close to people dwelling wasn't scary to it? We have owls in our woods all the time and they won't even go for very tiny barn kittens out in the yard.

Nice shot. They do hunt `in the gloaming' (sundown). Have watched them slip between the branches with snakes festooned from their beaks. This one was just behind the turkey shed, one evening. Little pullets just transitioning. to the great outdoors are monitored, for their hour, or so, of ranging before being locked up for the night, so have no idea if the Barred's would do more than watch and drool. Never have bothered adult chooks, here, in the evening.
BarredO0608.jpg

Around here barred owls hunt on overcast days but have not proven to be a threat to any chickens beyond point where head is feather out. Adult chickens seem very good at keeping barred owl away. Otherwise they seem to be very unafraid of humans and will allow close approach on foot. Owing to how common these guys are i doubt if it was handled by humans prior to visiting me.

Last edited:
I'm currently nursing back to health a pullet who was attacked and partially eaten by a Barred Owl. She is a 6 month old Welsummer, so the owl could not get her off the ground, but held her down and ate a huge amount of back/shoulder muscle. Miraculously, at this point it looks like she is going to make it!

I'm currently nursing back to health a pullet who was attacked and partially eaten by a Barred Owl. She is a 6 month old Welsummer, so the owl could not get her off the ground, but held her down and ate a huge amount of back/shoulder muscle. Miraculously, at this point it looks like she is going to make it!
I am not used to barred owls going after anything but small juveniles but this fall is different. The barred owl is coming on dark nights and harassing even adult chickens although no losses incurred to date. Dog has been very effective at protecting against losses to owls. If a bird of mine so seriously damaged, then I would put it down since ability to fly to roost likely compromised for life. Part of my birds' efforts to avoid owl attacks is to roost tightly together, sometimes under something. A flock roosting tucked under lawn tractor seems not to get owls attention while lone roosting birds in trees get harassed. Apparently this owl will not be a repeat offender since not visited so far tonight. Past rounds of harassment have been very consistent time wise, you could almost set watch by them. Owls also most persistent. When great-horned owls come in I can see one off yet it will be back in about 15 minutes or so, multiple times in a night. Dog just about required since dog not objectioning to such work hours like I do.

tellynpeep wrote: I'm currently nursing back to health a pullet who was attacked and partially eaten by a Barred Owl. She is a 6 month old Welsummer, so the owl could not get her off the ground, but held her down and ate a huge amount of back/shoulder muscle. Miraculously, at this point it looks like she is going to make it!
Hope she's healed up soon! We never let the chooks range unless one/both of us are out (Red Fox patrol), guess we make the Barred's too nervous to try anything. This one showed up for several days (just before, and during, a big snow storm) in the middle of the afternoon. The turkey hens raised heck and it avoided alighting on the either of the runs' fencing. Have only observed this `daylight' behavior that once.
DayBar122709.jpg

Last edited:
Barred owl I know can be seen on power line every day hunting for rodents among cedar trees. It is male. A mile down road a female can be seen every couple days doing same. Generally it is either overcast of near dawn / dusk when owls evident.

Back
Top Bottom