Barred Owl Hunting during the Day

Is someone saying that owls don't hunt during the day??? We have Barred Owls here and I was as surprised as anyone to see one carry a squirrel off at 1 o'clock in the afternoon! I thought that they hunt at night!? Has me freaked out. #1 Because my chickens free range during the day!
This evening (5pm) we went out to the coop to close it up and found a Barred Owl IN our coop!! The girls were all hiding outside but our RIR was hiding in the coop under a ramp. If we hadn't got there when we did...well, I shudder to think!!

Is someone saying that owls don't hunt during the day??? We have Barred Owls here and I was as surprised as anyone to see one carry a squirrel off at 1 o'clock in the afternoon! I thought that they hunt at night!? Has me freaked out. #1 Because my chickens free range during the day!
This evening (5pm) we went out to the coop to close it up and found a Barred Owl IN our coop!! The girls were all hiding outside but our RIR was hiding in the coop under a ramp. If we hadn't got there when we did...well, I shudder to think!!

Time of year relevant. Thread started in late spring.

Predators will hunt when they are hungry. Just because you dont see a supposed nacturnal hunter during the day all the time doesnt mean they dont. I dont think they care what time of year it is either if they are hungry.

When days are long and sun bright most owls stay in heavy cover to avoid harassment from hawks and songbirds. When days short like now and sky overcast hawks and songbirds no longer have the same level of advantage. Also now owls concerned about getting food back to nest on a more regular basis while by summer they are less pressed since food more abundant and young begin to hunt on their own. Barred Owls will hunt during day now and for next three to four months, but that will stop thereafter. If you are looking for more varied hunting then you need to look at more northerly species like Snowy Owl and Hawk Owl. A lot of this discussion likely is a result of not knowing what owl species is being observed which is common problem with hawk observations as well.

When days are long and sun bright most owls stay in heavy cover to avoid harassment from hawks and songbirds. When days short like now and sky overcast hawks and songbirds no longer have the same level of advantage. Also now owls concerned about getting food back to nest on a more regular basis while by summer they are less pressed since food more abundant and young begin to hunt on their own. Barred Owls will hunt during day now and for next three to four months, but that will stop thereafter. If you are looking for more varied hunting then you need to look at more northerly species like Snowy Owl and Hawk Owl. A lot of this discussion likely is a result of not knowing what owl species is being observed which is common problem with hawk observations as well.
Yes, Barred Owls are abundant here but because my daughter saw it and I didn't I can't say for sure which kind it exactly was. It was rather large though which makes me think Barred but I could've been Spotted or Great Horned, though I doubt the latter. I live in NW Washington and we have more than a dozen varieties of owls here. I love all owls, really I do, but I don't want to lose my flock to them. I guess if I want the chickens protected but have outside time I'll have to build them a covered area.

Love your "Christmas chicken" profile picture...very nice!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom