Barred Owl - Should I worry?

this is crazy i love it. We have long eared owls in our garden but they want nothing to with me haha... my 7 kilo rooster takes care of any hawks tho so its ok.

Great pics! Beautiful creatures!

We have a few owls by me and when they come out I watch them very closely.

I've not had any issues with them and my chickens but I work with a girl that had one by her house and the owl would wait for the chickens to go in the coop for the night and before my friend had a chance to close the coop, the owl would fly in the coop to attack and kill the chickens (adult buff orpingtons!) and eat as much of one as she could before someone came out and ran her off. She eventually got 5/6 chickens (shame on my friend).

This was strange to me because I thought owls swallowed their prey whole.

Ours just watch, so far.

Ripping tiny strips of flesh off of a dead mouse is viewed by large owls as a piddling business. So large owls would rather make one large kill then feed off of the remains for a day or longer.

Female Barred Owls are 30% larger than males. This one looks like a male to me. Doesn't look big enough to be a female. I agree with Centra...it may be chasing hawks to protect a mates nest. It may be hanging out with you for the same reason. Just food for thought. And then again....it could be your spirit animal....

i saw my first barred owl today, sitting above my chicken coop.. i took photos and watched her for ages, till she flew off..
but this made me think of Celeste..
updates??

i saw my first barred owl today, sitting above my chicken coop.. i took photos and watched her for ages, till she flew off..
but this made me think of Celeste..
updates??
I've been wondering about Celeste too. I would love an update. I've never seen a barred owl but I've had a little Eastern Screech owl hanging around for the past year. I've never seen her but I hear her.

since we are waiting for an update on Celeste, i will show my first barred owl sighting.. smile..
IMG_3142.jpg

Back
Top Bottom