Barred Plymouth Rock Lay?

jhook1997

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
I can't seem to find any info. on WHEN a Plymouth Rock Hen might start laying. They are 12 weeks old and I also have White Leghorns that are 16 weeks old. At this point they free feed all together so when can I start laying mash? Do I need to seperate out the (3) 7 week old RIRs when I start the mash?

Thanks,
New to Chickens

I would start the laying pellets when you get your first egg. You won't have to separate the others they will be old enough to eat the feed as well. About the BR laying she will lay when she's ready. You will want to add some oyster shells when they start laying as well. I have a sepe
63768_pa160083.jpg
rate feeder for my oyster shell . The shell will help keep the egg shells hard.

Barred rocks are later than the super fast breeds, but earlier than some of the real slow to POL breeds. 20-22 weeks is pretty average for hatchery BRs.

As for feed, Flock Raiser and offering shells free choice solves a lot of feeding two separate feed issues. Once your BRs are 19 weeks, the feed issue is pretty irrelevant anyhow.

our 3 barred rocks just started laying tuesday of this week, they are appox 26 weeks old, as of this morning they have layed 5 eggs. i have 6 laying nests set up but all 3 use the same nest

Fred's Hens :

Barred rocks are later than the super fast breeds, but earlier than some of the real slow to POL breeds. 20-22 weeks is pretty average for hatchery BRs.

As for feed, Flock Raiser and offering shells free choice solves a lot of feeding two separate feed issues. Once your BRs are 19 weeks, the feed issue is pretty irrelevant anyhow.

X2 I had 1 BR lay just over 19 wks and the other 3 by the 22wk, and the feed issue Freds assumption is they way I would go.​

Back
Top Bottom