Barred Plymouth Rock X Isa Brown: are the chicks sexed by color????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Thomas Lamprogiorgos, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Thomas Lamprogiorgos Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    Paternal stock: Barred Plymouth Rock

Maternal stock: ISA Brown

Can the chicks be sexed by their feather color?

Has anybody done the cross?

2. Cycomiko

Cycomiko Songster

May 27, 2017
    Western Maryland
    I’m no expert, but I’ve been reading poultry genetics threads all week, and I’d say no. Although the ISA Brown is related to a RIR, hybrids do don’t pass on same traits, and another thing, you would need a RIR rooster and a BR hen to get that sexlink offspring.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Barred rocks and ISAs both carry gold, which is used in sexlinking. Unfortunately, to use it, you need two things--to cross it with a silver bird, and to have the chicks be a pattern that would express gold or silver.

The pattern of BRs is extended black (E), which both chicks will inherit. They'll be a solid color.
    Because the rooster is barred, not the hen, there will be two copies of the barred gene--and all of the chicks will inherit one from him.

They'll all be barred black.

If the hen had the barred gene, only the roosters would inherit it from her (they need to inherit the chromosome that carries barred to be roosters) and the pullets would not inherit barred. So they would be solid black and the roosters would be barred.

Does that make sense?

EDT: I tell a lie. I forgot that ISAs carry one copy of dominant white (I), which half of the chicks will inherit. So half of them should actually be pure white, with maybe a few black feathers. It's still not sexlinked, though.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  4. Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Thomas Lamprogiorgos Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    Thank you all so much.

Cycomiko likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: