Barred Plymouth Rock X Isa Brown: are the chicks sexed by color????

Paternal stock: Barred Plymouth Rock

Maternal stock: ISA Brown

Can the chicks be sexed by their feather color?

Has anybody done the cross?
I’m no expert, but I’ve been reading poultry genetics threads all week, and I’d say no. Although the ISA Brown is related to a RIR, hybrids do don’t pass on same traits, and another thing, you would need a RIR rooster and a BR hen to get that sexlink offspring.

Barred rocks and ISAs both carry gold, which is used in sexlinking. Unfortunately, to use it, you need two things--to cross it with a silver bird, and to have the chicks be a pattern that would express gold or silver.

The pattern of BRs is extended black (E), which both chicks will inherit. They'll be a solid color.
Because the rooster is barred, not the hen, there will be two copies of the barred gene--and all of the chicks will inherit one from him.

They'll all be barred black.

If the hen had the barred gene, only the roosters would inherit it from her (they need to inherit the chromosome that carries barred to be roosters) and the pullets would not inherit barred. So they would be solid black and the roosters would be barred.

Does that make sense?

EDT: I tell a lie. I forgot that ISAs carry one copy of dominant white (I), which half of the chicks will inherit. So half of them should actually be pure white, with maybe a few black feathers. It's still not sexlinked, though.

Last edited:
I know that this is an old post but I have read on here so many times that a barred rock rooster will produce all barred chicks. This is not true! You can get barred but also solid white and white with black flecks. Here is a picture of what my Barred Rock rooster and Isa brown hen has produced. 2 black with white dots on head (they will be barred, this is what barred rocks look like as chicks), 1 all white, and 1 all white with black flecks.

Attachments

• 0BF5C715-A272-4C23-B307-EC4BB49D3EE2.jpeg
    0BF5C715-A272-4C23-B307-EC4BB49D3EE2.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 109
I know that this is an old post but I have read on here so many times that a barred rock rooster will produce all barred chicks. This is not true! You can get barred but also solid white and white with black flecks. Here is a picture of what my Barred Rock rooster and Isa brown hen has produced. 2 black with white dots on head (they will be barred, this is what barred rocks look like as chicks), 1 all white, and 1 all white with black flecks.

If you read the edit in slyviethecochin's post it explains why you have some white chicks.

Your white and white with black are indeed barred if their father is a true barred rock.
The barring may not be showing because of the white but it's still there.
A barred rock rooster will always produce barred offspring it's. Just a matter of if you can see it or not.

Back
Top Bottom