barred rock and dominique experts help

Hmm.. I'd never heard of Barred Wyandottes before... But I just looked them up on Google and Zeebs could very well be one, especially if the person you got him from doesn't keep Dominiques. http://www.google.com/search?q=chicken+%22barred+wyandotte%22&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=602

Dominant
females willl climb on the backs of other females, yes, but in my experience they have never done so at such an early age as Zeebs is. Zeebs is still a cockerel. If you don't want to take him back there (personally I wouldn't) you could list him for sale in the Auction section here -- I'm sure there would be someone interested in a Barred Wyandotte. (I would if it wasn't a boy!) It's totally up to you whether you wait and see what comes -- crow or egg.

Wishing you luck whatever you decide. It's tough finding good homes for cockerels and roosters.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
she said shes happily swap him,but we do know what shell do to it,as she cant get rid of cockerals,cant believe how much this has upset me now,ive raised him/her for 6weeks seen all the funny things zeebs does like being the only one to fly into my veg patch,i cudnt live with myself .i dont know what to do,xx

Quote:
are they barred rocks??sorry im all confuddled,not knwoing whats zeebs is,well apart from the breeder saying its a barred wyandotte.just dont know the sex.
idunno.gif

Quote:
are they barred rocks??sorry im all confuddled,not knwoing whats zeebs is,well apart from the breeder saying its a barred wyandotte.just dont know the sex.
idunno.gif

Yes, these are BR roosters...notice his comb, single...yours has a rose comb...so not a BR

Quote:
idunno.gif

Yes, these are BR roosters...notice his comb, single...yours has a rose comb...so not a BR

yeah i noticed that,newto all this haha so learning,the breeder said theyre barred wyandottes she doesnt keeps doms or barred rocks,trying to find info on them but theres not to much,xx

In the barred chicken world, the males are typically lighter and the pullets typically darker in overall appearance.

Here's a site with show quality Barred Wyandottes. Nice looking birds.

http://darrendottes.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=50648398

If you cannot keep roosters, then you cannot keep them. This is the dilemma of all such "no roosters" communities. Normally, you can sex barred chicks with great accuracy at hatch. But, no one can do it perfectly. Unfortunately, the roosters slip through to folks wanting only hens. It happens. This is a part of getting into chickens that beginners just need to prepare themselves for. With sex links, it is virtually 100% avoidable, but with other breeds, unwanted roosters are part of the territory of chicken ownership. Hope you find him a home, sell him, or trade him back to the original seller. It isn't easy, but like parenting, flock keeping has some tough duties from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom