Barred Rock and EE 11 (going on 12) weeks…hen or roo?

gardenmama45

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Time for my bi-weekly worry that I’m not sure if I have pullets or cockerels. This time it’s my barred rocks and my still suspicious Ameraucana/EE/Whatever. My one barred rock is just so much bigger than the other but to my untrained eyes, I feel like they are the same bar pattern and should both be pullets?? The size difference and the comb differences give me pause tho. One is a bit redder than the other. (In the photo with them both, she’s the one in the back annd then the single shot) Also Olive (the last photos) has quite the tail and has a strange personality but still no comb really. Also are those neck feather pointed like a roo?

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpeg
    IMG_1424.jpeg
    840.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1423.jpeg
    IMG_1423.jpeg
    888.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1410.jpeg
    IMG_1410.jpeg
    993.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1400.jpeg
    IMG_1400.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1406.jpeg
    IMG_1406.jpeg
    519.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1430.jpeg
    IMG_1430.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
At this age the cockerels should be getting saddle feathers, I think that I am starting to see pointy feathers on the bigger barred rock. Could you get a photo of the bird’s saddle and neck feathers with your hand or a piece of paper underneath some feathers? Or some more clear photos of the saddle and neck area.

At this age the cockerels should be getting saddle feathers, I think that I am starting to see pointy feathers on the bigger barred rock. Could you get a photo of the bird’s saddle and neck feathers with your hand or a piece of paper underneath some feathers? Or some more clear photos of the saddle and neck area.
She’s/he’s a really hard one to catch. I will have to try later. If it helps at all this is a zoomed in shot?

Attachments

• IMG_1435.png
    IMG_1435.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 72
I'd say you have 2 beautiful egg layers, our BR's had big combs too and we have an EE similar to yours as well, that color combo is a female gene if I remember right. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom