Barred Rock chicks...any guesses?

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
I read Speckledhen's summary of how to tell Barred Rock boys from the girls but I'm sort of stumped on them because they all have a silvery color and yet they have the white head spot and black on their legs. When I got these three chicks the lady at the hatchery knew I wanted all girls, altho I bought them as straight run. I remember when she was getting them out of the brooder, she put one back mumbling something about it that I didn't hear and got another one out for me. I see black on all their legs and from what I can see, they all have a pretty well defined white spot on their head. Any guesses?

Chick #1
BarredChick1_forID_A.jpg

BarredChick1_forID_B.jpg

BarredChick1_forID_C.jpg

BarredChick1_forID_D.jpg

Chick #2
BarredChick2_forID_A.jpg

BarredChick2_forID_B.jpg

BarredChick2_forID_C.jpg

BarredChick2_forID_D.jpg

Chick #3
BarredChick3_forID_A.jpg

BarredChick3_forID_B.jpg

BarredChick3_forID_C.jpg

BarredChick3_forID_D.jpg

Sorry about the focus, I was having a bit of trouble with that this morning. I hope you can see well enough.

BTW, these chicks are exactly a week old today.

Last edited:
They look like pullets to me. #1 had slightly lighter legs than the others, but none of them have that silvery color I associate with cockerels, at least in your pics, from what I can tell. Just remember, the sexing on Barred Rocks is not 100% accurate, although pretty darn close.

Thanks so much Cynthia! I appreciate your expertise. And I'm happy you think these are all three pullets, but I do know it could be different in the long run. I wish I could see a picture of a week old BR chick that ended up being a roo so I could compare. That's my problem, not having anything to compare to! Well, that, and not knowing what the heck I'm doing...LOL

Thanks a million!
cool.png

Last edited:
Hello- I'm new here.

1st post.
Beautiful little peeps by the way.

I also just got 7 Barred Rock chicks at the local
hardware.
They said they had been sexed but most of them
have a fairly large spot on their heads and a couple
of them have the silvery legs and lighter coat.

I hope I don't end up with 6 roosters and 1 hen!

If they are professionally sexed is there a chance
they're wrong?

Thanks

Here are mine on the 1st day at 3 days old.
Now at 6 days I have noticed a couple of them
much lighter both in body and legs.

S3010004-2.jpg

ETA:
Oh and don't mind the brick in the background.
I was going to put their feeder on it but it was too high.
Now it just keeps their pen from shifting.

Last edited:
Sexing is an art and they vent sex Barred Rocks at the hatchery so there is a chance of getting a mistake, surely. Most of the time you won't, but....HenHaven did. Just ask her about Rizzle who went to live with OEGBman.

Thanks SpeckledHen,
I wouldn't really mind 1 rooster, but with only
7 peeps, I hope they're all girls.

But after coming on here and reading about
the obvious markings etc., I started to worry
because a few have different coloring than the
rest.
I have tried holding them in my hand on their
backs. Someone said the pullets would relax
pretty quickly and the cockerels would struggle
longer.
Most of them fell asleep.
I loved that!
But the one that struggled the longest is one of
the lighter ones, but at the same time has wing feathers
coming in earlier then everyone else.

It's enough to make you crazy!
jumpy.gif

Oh, and like a dummy, I picked out all the ones that were standing up
and looking around at the feed store thinking that was a sign of health
and alertness, when in fact it may have been sign of a rooster!

Last edited:
Don't you wish we could just ask them what they are!!LOL

Thanks Cynthia for posting those pictures. It gives me a much better idea of what a BPR roo baby looks like.

And I appreciate anyone else's feedback too!! Sweet_Peeps, I'd love to know what you end up with!! You'll have to keep us posted.
smile.png

I have a lady patiently waiting for all the chickens I have that I don't want (well, not that I don't want them but I can't have roos in my flock due to my neighborhood
sad.png
). This wonderful lady, who I found on Craig's list, doesn't mind waiting, doesn't eat chicken (vegetarian) and just wants some birds to baby and watch in her yard!! It doesn't matter if they are hens or roosters...Lucky me!!! She was even going to pay for them, but I told her if she just comes and gets them, she can have them for free. I'm just thrilled to have found my "unwanteds" a good farm home!!!

My biggest problem is that I'm trying NOT to get too attached to some of them, if they are males, I will just try to take good care of them without making pets of them that I'll just have to hand over to someone else. I think that's why I'm so darned anxious to find out what they are. I have one favorite Easter Egger I named Abbie... "her" legs look like they are looking kind of thick, but she's feathering out more than a couple of the others. I sure hope she's a pullet, I'd hate to have to give her up
sad.png

I will be posting her pic soon to see if anyone has any ideas about what she is.

I just love this forum! It's so helpful.

Gindee77,
Yes, it would make things easier if they
came with a blue or pink ribbon!

And yes, i'll let you know what they
grow up to be besides adorable!
You do the same okay?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom