Barred Rock Chicks -gender ID

Joe33

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012

This is a pic of my 1-week-old Barred Rock/Barred Plymouth Rock chicks. Only 1 is supposed to be a rooster and we believe it is the lighter one on the right. We noticed that his beak was without any black spots, and he has noticably more white-from his chin all under to his butt.

10-day-old Barred Rocks.

At 2-weeks old it's becoming obvious which bird is the rooster. He's got much more white than the others, no black marks on his beak like the hens have, and we also noticed that the hens have developed pretty good tail feathers, which he has not at all. Above the rooster is on the left and the hen on the right. They are all very healthy and seemingly happy in my home-made brooder.

My 3-week-old backyard chickens (4 hens, 1 rooster)

3-Week-old Barred Rocks. Hen on left, Rooster on right. At 3 weeks the rooster's comb is also growing noticably faster thatn the others'.

Click to Enlarge- My Barred Plymouth Rocks at 4-Weeks-Old stretching their legs in their Run for a bit before returning to the brooder for the night.

4-Week-Old Pair. See how much lighter in color the rooster (left) than the hen (right). His comb is developing too. Their personalities are the same though.

4-Week-old Hen

Guard-Hen! This one always seems to favor being elevated more than the others do.

The Run and Coop I built using re-claimed lumber. It's about 24'x24' and enclosed all around and netting above to keep the hawks out.

I hope to let the chickens free-range whenever I'm out working around the house/yard.
I hope you like my pics and benefit from my little tutorial. I'm in Monroe Connecticut

is the whole run/pen in-closed WITH fencing up all sides and across the top? if not your going to find them free ranging all on their own we have a 10+ foot pen and before we could get the top on they were flying to the top and out. i would also use regular fencing around the outside. sure chickens cant get out of that pen but raccoons, dogs, and many other predators can easily ripe through chicken wire. i really don't think the netting is going to be as effective as you hope it will be.

no im not trying to be mean just giving some advice

I can see some of my Barred Rock babies have tails that look like a fan spead out
1f425.png
so are these boys or girls????

Last edited:
is the whole run/pen in-closed WITH fencing up all sides and across the top? if not your going to find them free ranging all on their own we have a 10+ foot pen and before we could get the top on they were flying to the top and out. i would also use regular fencing around the outside. sure chickens cant get out of that pen but raccoons, dogs, and many other predators can easily ripe through chicken wire. i really don't think the netting is going to be as effective as you hope it will be.

no im not trying to be mean just giving some advice
does anything rally keep raccoons out? The netting might not stop a really determined eagle or owl, but it will freak them out. They are looking for an easy meal, not looking for tangles and confusion.

Back
Top Bottom