Barred

Chokmasterph

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2024
Hi everybody.

Im new with chickens and I’m raising my first flock of 10 chickens. My chickens are currently 21 weeks and 4 days old and Im ready for them to start laying. Just that earlier I suddenly started worrying if 3 of my chickens that I assume are hens might actually be roosters lol. When I bought these 3 chickens I was told they were barred Plymouth rocks but Im not sure right now. It is ok if they are not barred plymouths though as long as they lay eggs. So I would appreciate it of you could confirm if they are females.

Attachments

• IMG_3131.jpeg
    IMG_3131.jpeg
    917.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3133.jpeg
    IMG_3133.jpeg
    739.2 KB · Views: 13
Sure look like hens to me. Small wattles and comb and their stance definitely says hen.

Do you have them on layer feed or all flock with oyster shell on the side or something along those lines? I'd think they'd be laying anytime now.

So I would appreciate it of you could confirm if they are females.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

They're pullets (females under 1 year old).. saddle feathers coupled with age confirms, usually not possible before about 12 ish weeks old (and not flowing like the second pic until more like 16 ish weeks).. Images from google for example..

1710084128904.png

1710084143282.png

Thanks for confirming everyone. Now I’m more excited for their first eggs. :celebrate

Sure look like hens to me. Small wattles and comb and their stance definitely says hen.

Do you have them on layer feed or all flock with oyster shell on the side or something along those lines? I'd think they'd be laying anytime now.
I have them on layers pellets right now. Had them on all flock with free choice oysters before but for some reason my rooster serama keeps eating the oyster shell/grit. Im thinking of putting the oyster back when they start laying. Maybe I have to put it higher so the serama cant reach it.

Back
Top Bottom