Help with confirming sexes

SoCalSurf

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2024
Hi everyone, I have two of my biggest chicks I want to confirm are pullets.

Blue Plymouth Rock and a Wellsummer. They are currently 4 weeks old per the feed store worker but I'm curious if they are a little older than that.

I read wellsummer females are darker than the males so I'm leaning she is a she.
My blue Plymouth comb its showing up but not sure if it'll turn redder or not.

First time raising chicks so I want to say thank you in advance for any advice/comments.

Another note - these guys in the past week have been kicking up the ground and "foraging" They are excited to get out to their coop in a few weeks but its a mess every time I change out all the shavings they just instantly kick it all up lol

Attachments

• tempImageev0lto.png
    tempImageev0lto.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
  • tempImageR9fJfT.png
    tempImageR9fJfT.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • tempImagekKjDtb.png
    tempImagekKjDtb.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • tempImageu7L7fu.png
    tempImageu7L7fu.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 15
  • tempImageCCBwOb.png
    tempImageCCBwOb.png
    5 MB · Views: 18
I say wait a few weeks to see if saddle feathers start forming. Assuming you have no sex linked babies etc. 4 weeks is too young to tell usually. Unless you are my "pullet" Simba. >_> Pullet my behind

Attachments

• 20240419_174826.jpg
    20240419_174826.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 4
I moved this to what breed and gender section for you.
Cute birds! I love the scruffy stage.
Hi everyone, I have two of my biggest chicks I want to confirm are pullets.

Blue Plymouth Rock and a Wellsummer. They are currently 4 weeks old per the feed store worker but I'm curious if they are a little older than that.

I read wellsummer females are darker than the males so I'm leaning she is a she.
My blue Plymouth comb its showing up but not sure if it'll turn redder or not.

First time raising chicks so I want to say thank you in advance for any advice/comments.

Another note - these guys in the past week have been kicking up the ground and "foraging" They are excited to get out to their coop in a few weeks but its a mess every time I change out all the shavings they just instantly kick it all up lol

Back
Top Bottom