Barred Rock Chicks ?

SO what does it mean when you all say sexlink? Can you get a sexlink from any breed of chicken? I am currently trying to decide if what we have are barred rock or sexlink
The sex links they're talking about in this thread are black sex links. A barred rock mother under (usually) a red rooster. Females are pure black, with solid black heads at hatch. Males are barred, they have a white spot on the head at hatch. Sex link refers to the fact that the sex is linked to the color. If you're wondering about your bird, it's best to start your own thread with a good profile picture of the bird in question, including legs and comb, and give the age of the bird as best you know it and where it came from (hatchery or backyard breeder).

The sex links they're talking about in this thread are black sex links. A barred rock mother under (usually) a red rooster. Females are pure black, with solid black heads at hatch. Males are barred, they have a white spot on the head at hatch. Sex link refers to the fact that the sex is linked to the color. If you're wondering about your bird, it's best to start your own thread with a good profile picture of the bird in question, including legs and comb, and give the age of the bird as best you know it and where it came from (hatchery or backyard breeder).
Agreed.
There are a couple type of chickens with sex link in the name (Red & Black), but you can also use sex link to describe a breed of chicken you can tell the gender of at birth without having to vent sex.
Barred Rocks can easily be sexed at birth for the patch on their head. In FEMALES (not to be confused with black sex link Males), there will be a large white spot on the head. In males there will be several little uneven patches. When you see the two side by side it will be easy to tell.
As far as telling the difference between a black sex link and a barred rock, barred rocks will have yellow legs (though females will have more dark marks on the front than males), and sex links legs will all be a slate color. As soon as they start feathering out you can tell as well since as grown chickens they don't look a like at all.

Thank yall. I Did Start A Thread But Never Got A Final ANswer. The Mothers Were White Rock And Partridge Rock And The Father Is Partridge Rock. They Arent Pure Bred. Thank U Again. Im Going To Chech Wing Feathers Today If The Broody Mom Can Manage Not To Bite My Hand Off. But Some Have The Spot On The head And Others Dont. I Hope I Can Figure Out Which Are Roos So We Can Rehome Them quickly

Here is my rooster and hen ....I have no clue what is going on with her ! She has a bare spot on the top or her head and one on her side , she normally doesn't look like this and the only thing I can think of is the rooster has been picking on her ?

they are beautiful--I have one hen, by husband calls her the rugby player because she is so big--unfortunately she has bumble foot on both fee same spot, yet it is not bothering her at all--she gets some kitchen surgery next week....

I actually sold a lot of them before I really found out ! But I had a friend get a bunch and most turned out to be hens . I kept 3 of them that I thought at the time were a rooster and 2 hens and I was right ! I got 47 eggs in right now that I am waiting to hatch out this month :)

I have been feeding mine cracked corn , a little bread and once it worms up I will be feeding them worms that I have been breeding over the fall and winter .

I raised Barred rock and I can tell you the guy probably did know. Males are lighter in color, the white spot on their head is not even-splotchy. Girls are darker in color and the white spot is USUALLY clearly defined. Males also tend to start kicking around and showing some attitude, esp at the feeder very young. I miss my Rocks, one of my hens was so black you could barely see the barring in her feathers, she was the sweetest most people person chicken I have ever had.

Is it a rooster at a hen, I know it's a bad pic but its the barred rock in the middle

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom