Barred Rock Cross Sexing

Yep, males will have a white/cream spot on the head. It's hard to see with the blue color until they dry off all the way, but once they're dry it's pretty easy to spot. I've got a blue sex link pair of chicks I'll try to get pics of tonight for reference.

Yep, males will have a white/cream spot on the head. It's hard to see with the blue color until they dry off all the way, but once they're dry it's pretty easy to spot. I've got a blue sex link pair of chicks I'll try to get pics of tonight for reference. 

Thank you kindly. So far it looks like all 3 have a spot on ther head... Ya say female has none... Dam more roosters lol

So here's what I could get on my little blue sex links. You can see pullet on the left, cockerel on the right.

one of my blue sex link pullets in the front, she'll be a blue/green egger. You can faintly see the barring on her brother in the background.

and a blue sex link cockerel. Your birds will have straight combs, of course, not the pea mine have. Other than that, they'll be pretty much the same.

Last edited:
I can see what your saying. I am going to photograph my day olds and ask you what you think. Seems pretty cut and dry.

I also had almost all my silkies hatch on day 19 like literally as soon as I locked down. Only two of my Blue sex links also hatched early with the silkies and now the remaining 12 eggs are sitting now day 21 no sound no movement. Two of them actually pipd yesterday wrong end and both died before I noticed. When I candled they all look full developed. I'm afraid the remaining are dead as they didn't actually sit still for the three days because they began hatching early. My temp along the way was always 99.5 occasionally 100.. What do you think are the remaining eggs dead? Shouldn't I hear something? This is so stressful #help

Last edited:
You won't have autosexing, but a one time sex link. You'll get solid blue or black pullets, with copper leakage on the neck/throat/chest. The males will be blue or black barred, with probably a lot of copper leakage on the wings and hackle/saddle feathers as they mature.

Just so I'm clear on what I'm reading...I also crossed my blue copper marans rooster with a barred rock hen. I have lots of blue babies and some of those blue babies have a yellow splotch on their head and some don't. The ones with the splotch are cockerals and the ones with a solid head are pullets, right? I should mention that my brooder also has blue copper marans x Rhode Island red mixed chicks, and F1 olive eggers. There are also a couple pure black copper marans chicks in there.

Back
Top Bottom