Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I've got a question for anyone who does barred rock crosses. I've seen before that when people cross barred rocks with other breeds the chicks can be autosexed. Does this work with any breed or just certain ones? And how do you tell the males and females apart? Just curious because I just hatched a barred rock/BCM mix for a friend and was wondering if I could already tell the gender of the chick.

I've got a question for anyone who does barred rock crosses. I've seen before that when people cross barred rocks with other breeds the chicks can be autosexed. Does this work with any breed or just certain ones? And how do you tell the males and females apart? Just curious because I just hatched a barred rock/BCM mix for a friend and was wondering if I could already tell the gender of the chick.
you can only use a barred rock hen and a black/colored rooster... the boys have a white spot on their head the girls will lack this spot, both will have black chick down

A barred or cuckoo hen under a non barred or cuckoo rooster will usually make what's referred to as black sex links. Not every rooster will work, things like dominant white can mess it up, but your red/buff/black roos will work. As stated, males will have a light spot on the top of the head, females will have a solid dark head. The males will grow up barred, the females will be solid or have leakage of varying degrees on the throat/neck/chest, depending on the roo used for the cross.

How you wrote your cross (barred rock/bcm) indicated the barred rock was the roo. If this is the case, no sex linkage will happen. Half his chicks will have barring, regardless of gender.

And, just to be picky, sex linking is different than auto sexing. The cross we're talking about here is called sex link, it's a one time deal. If you breed a sex link to a sex link you won't get another sex link.

Autosexing breeds breed true. Legbars are the one that comes to mind for me. You breed a legbar to a legbar and you get chicks that can be sexed at hatch, and they continue to breed true.

Not every rooster will work, things like dominant white can mess it up,
Dominant white is the Only gene that can mask sex link barring but only on Birchen(ER) or Extended black(E) allele background, wich is what barred rock hens are so thats a moot point, the headspot is not visible on homozygous wheaten chicks eWh/eWh

Ah, okay. So sex linked, not autosexed. The hen is a barred rock, the rooster is a black copper marans. The chick has a little spot on its head. Does that mean it's a male for sure? Or does a bcm not work for sex linking?

I recently hatched a chick from a bantam barred rock hen and a blue/black bantam cochin too. Would I still be able to sex the chick based on these markings? It has a white spot on it's head so just wondering if it would still apply since the roo is blue/black instead of just plain black.

I recently hatched a chick from a bantam barred rock hen and a blue/black bantam cochin too. Would I still be able to sex the chick based on these markings? It has a white spot on it's head so just wondering if it would still apply since the roo is blue/black instead of just plain black.

Yep. sounds like your chick is a little roo.

Back
Top Bottom