Barred Rock Cross Sexing

By far the most common sex link cross using Barred Rocks are the Black Sex Links which are used by commercial laying houses to produce brown eggs. These Black Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster (either a RIR, Production Red, or NHR) with a Barred Rock hen. The resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are black with a white spot on top of their heads and female chicks are solid black), and these BSL hens are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

Ok here is my question will my Blue Copper Marans x Barred Rock hen produce autosex chicks or does the roo have to be E or ER?
You won't have autosexing, but a one time sex link. You'll get solid blue or black pullets, with copper leakage on the neck/throat/chest. The males will be blue or black barred, with probably a lot of copper leakage on the wings and hackle/saddle feathers as they mature.

You won't have autosexing, but a one time sex link. You'll get solid blue or black pullets, with copper leakage on the neck/throat/chest. The males will be blue or black barred, with probably a lot of copper leakage on the wings and hackle/saddle feathers as they mature.

X2 on not autosexing.

Oh boy what does X2 mean? I am very excited if what donrae says is true. So basically she will only pass the batted gene onto the males. Ill also add that my BR hen has white feet instead of yellow like all the rest of my BR flock. My Blue Copper Marans rooster is a beauty he has this odd thing with his eye where there is only black in the iris. He has no seeing problems it just appears to be colored that way. Here is a pic

x2 is the same as saying ditto or I agree.

With the white legs, is your hen possibly a Marans instead of a Rock?
Maybe from her lineage but she came out of two barred rock chickens. All the rest look right, I read somewhere that the white legs also are a sexlink gene but not sure how accurate that is. Can you tell me anything about the pigment in his eye why the black leaked out over the iris?

Yep, males will have a white/cream spot on the head. It's hard to see with the blue color until they dry off all the way, but once they're dry it's pretty easy to spot. I've got a blue sex link pair of chicks I'll try to get pics of tonight for reference.

Yep, males will have a white/cream spot on the head. It's hard to see with the blue color until they dry off all the way, but once they're dry it's pretty easy to spot. I've got a blue sex link pair of chicks I'll try to get pics of tonight for reference. 

Thank you kindly. So far it looks like all 3 have a spot on ther head... Ya say female has none... Dam more roosters lol

Back
Top Bottom