Barred Rock, Dominique or mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bassbum2, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Bassbum2

Bassbum2 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me for sure it this is a Barred Rock, a Dominique or a mix? Also, is it a boy or a girl? the guy I bought it from told me she was a Barred Rock and that it was in fact a girl but I have my doubts. When I got it about 5 weeks ago, I was told it was about 14 weeks old. I have caught it trying to mount the other hens several times in the past week or so.

Russell

[​IMG]

2. Dawns Funy Farm

Dawns Funy Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    looks like a dom roo

3. Bassbum2

May 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Looks like I will be rehoming another roo. Maybe I will get lucky and the guy I bought it from will trade even for a hen. I'm not holding my breath though.

I actually bought 2 so I wouldn't have a lone bird, if I get rid off the roo, will the other one be a solitary bird in the flock? As it is right now, my first 5 and second 4 stay in their own groups and the 2 new ones stay together.

Russell

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Dominique rooster. Sorry. :eek:(

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree it's a cockerel. At 14 weeks, several folks on this board could have told you the gender and spared you the issue of rehoming or getting a refund. You might consider posting pics of a bird you're interested in buying before you close the deal, just to double check gender until you have a better eye for it yourself.

6. Bassbum2

May 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    What are the telltale signs? The guy I bought them from seemed pretty knowledgeable about chickens as he breeds them so I thought I could trust him.

Russell

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    A large, bright red rose comb and wattles, and long, pointed saddle and tail feathers.

8. Bassbum2

May 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    How old would you guess he is? He is a bit smaller than most of my other chickens that are 21 to 24 weeks old. Could he be a bantam?

Russell

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would have put it in the 4ish month age, right now. Although that doesn't match with trying to mate hens, at least in my experience. My guys at that age still act like babies.

On a barred bird, the first telltale sign is the overall color. The lighter color means male, as the double barring gene means he has twice as much white as the equivalent female. Besides that, the size and color of the comb, possible presence of sex feathers, leg thickness and overall stance all contribute to sexing a bird.

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with donrae. He appears like he might be around four months, certainly less than five.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by