Barred rock/Easter egger crosses-anyone care to venture a guess?

Sorry to hear they turned out to all be boys.

Just a BTW...you do realize you won't get Olive Eggers by breeding a medium brown layer breed like a Barred Rock to an Easter Egger...you will get a green egg layer, but a light green.

You need a very dark egg layer like a Welsummer or Marans or Penedesenca bred to a blue egg layer like a Cream Legbar or Ameraucana or Easter Egger (if the EE carries the blue gene) to get the olive egg.

Getting an olive egger will be harder breeding to an EE as it is already a hybrid and may only have one of the blue genes making it possible that your will get 50% brown and 50% green layers.

Good luck with your next hatches...hopefully they will be girls.

Lady of McCamley

Thanks for the condolences.and the explanations. :) I love all of the teaching/education that goes on with this site, it really is such an outstanding resource because of the people who participate in it. Reading about chicken genetics is an entertaining task. I just reread my post and realized that I didn't describe them as accurately as I could have. So if these guys had been girls, they would have been considered EE's since they would/could have laid a light green egg? All had the pea combs except for one, but that turned out to be a girl hatched from a partridge rock, so she will be an brown egg layer anyway! I suppose the silver lining is that the only chick from that batch that actually had our blue copper marans as a father DID actually turn out to be a pullet (moms were all ameraucana other than the one partridge rock egg), so hopefully she will lay the darker olive that I wanted. :) I never posted a picture of her because she screamed girl from the start.

This little batch of chicks was hatched by a friend who's daughter was doing an elementary science experiment. We used eggs from my flock based on who was laying at the time, so I really wasn't sure what the results would be!

Since then, I had a hen go big time broody, so I separated our barred rock and let our marans cover the flock by himself for a two weeks before letting the broody sit on three ameraucana eggs. All three hatched (no barred, yay!) so right now I have two blue and 1 black OE chicks, HOPEFULLY with at least one another girl in the mix. :)

BTW...three of the little barred babies went to a different friend's house to live, but this morning I heard the young cockerel that we did keep trying out his first vocal performance...Sadly for him that means it may soon be time for the stew pot!

Are you using a barred rooster with other hens or barred hens with another rooster? I was told the second option will give you all makes, and I never cares to test it out!
The second option will give you sexlinked chicks (males barred, so head dot, females non-barred so no head dot) if you use a barred hen over a non-barred rooster....but not all males. The percentage of females to males is 50/50...but like a coin toss what you get in 5 tosses might be all heads; however if you tossed for 100 tosses, you would see that the numbers would come to pretty much 50/50.

The only thing I've read that can hedge your gender percentage is changing the heat level...a slightly cooler incubation temperature or varying the temperature to cool then back to warm is more harmful to male embryos so that theoretically you could adjust the temp to get more females; however it is also risky for all the embryos and not reliable enough for the commercial industry to use it.

Lady of McCamley

I know that’s this an old post but I have recently hatched out some Barred rock/EE crosses. Four hatched and they are now eight weeks old. Three of them are girls and one is a boy. I saw that not a lot of people got females from this crossing. I have a few pictures I am willing to share!
C57D1B4F-9565-4EFA-9576-4E5CC5FDC349.jpeg

That is Z.J. or Zinger Jr. named after his dad.
4DD82DAC-291D-4345-9F3C-A7F7D6A21B13.jpeg

This is one of two of the girls that look like this. They are currently unnamed.
A099685F-0A47-44DC-873B-0E7ABA1CF4B5.jpeg

The black and white one in the back is the last girl. She is unnamed. Her brother Reno is also in the picture. He is a Orpington/EE cross.
*These pictures were taken at about six weeks*
I hope you enjoy them!

The second option will give you sexlinked chicks (males barred, so head dot, females non-barred so no head dot) if you use a barred hen over a non-barred rooster....but not all males. The percentage of females to males is 50/50...but like a coin toss what you get in 5 tosses might be all heads; however if you tossed for 100 tosses, you would see that the numbers would come to pretty much 50/50.

The only thing I've read that can hedge your gender percentage is changing the heat level...a slightly cooler incubation temperature or varying the temperature to cool then back to warm is more harmful to male embryos so that theoretically you could adjust the temp to get more females; however it is also risky for all the embryos and not reliable enough for the commercial industry to use it.

Lady of McCamley
Why do you say not ALL makes when doing this breeding ? I’m curious bc we just hatched two today that could possibly be sex linked but I don’t know yet

Why do you say not ALL makes when doing this breeding ? I’m curious bc we just hatched two today that could possibly be sex linked but I don’t know yet
I was answering 2 questions for the poster...the sex link created by a non barred rooster mated to a barred hen...all the chicks will be sexed by down.... males head dot for barring to come while females solid.

The second question was how to adjust for gender percentage to get all females or all males. There is no method to reliably do that....so no, not all males or females will hatch but statistically 50/50.

Hope that answers your question.
LofMc

Our lavender olive egger Roo mixed with a barred (EE I was told) hen made this darker one ….here the lighter smaller one is our silky hens mixed with lavender olive Roo…. so is it true this one can be sexlinked?

Attachments

• A11EC5F0-A473-4383-A4B7-8577CB416CBA.jpeg
    A11EC5F0-A473-4383-A4B7-8577CB416CBA.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 60C43035-57B1-4F55-ADF0-585666D475DD.jpeg
    60C43035-57B1-4F55-ADF0-585666D475DD.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 15
I was answering 2 questions for the poster...the sex link created by a non barred rooster mated to a barred hen...all the chicks will be sexed by down.... males head dot for barring to come while females solid.

The second question was how to adjust for gender percentage to get all females or all males. There is no method to reliably do that....so no, not all males or females will hatch but statistically 50/50.

Hope that answers your question.
LofMc
I realize this is kind of an old post but you were saying that using a barred female and an unbard male the offspring will be sex linked. But what about using a barred rooster and an unbarred female. A friend just hatched out 14 Bard rooster and either Easter egg or another kind of hen that's not a barred rock and got 14 chicks, 12 of which are black with a white dot on their heads. Is that a trustworthy trait in predicting a rooster in a barred rock mix with a barred rooster?

I realize this is kind of an old post but you were saying that using a barred female and an unbard male the offspring will be sex linked. But what about using a barred rooster and an unbarred female. A friend just hatched out 14 Bard rooster and either Easter egg or another kind of hen that's not a barred rock and got 14 chicks, 12 of which are black with a white dot on their heads. Is that a trustworthy trait in predicting a rooster in a barred rock mix with a barred rooster?

A barred rooster, if pure with 2 barred genes, over an unbarred hen, will produce all barred chicks carrying 1 barred gene. Barring is dominate so all chicks barred.

If it is mixed rooster with 1 barring gene, over unbarred hen, he will produce 50% barred and 50% no barred both sexes.

Obviously that is as the coin tossed so barred and unbarring numbers could be skewed.

So no a barred rooster over an unbarred hen does not produce sexing.

It gets trickier with a double barred rooster over s single barred hen...that produces double barred males and single barred females which if you squint you can tell as the rooster is lighter.

Single barred rooster over single barred hen is even trickier...you'll get 25% double barred males, 50% single barred males and females, and 25% unbarred females.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom