Barred rock egg irregularities

Ajulycc

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
WNY
07C11C2B-9940-4F11-BDA6-8F8DCDD15D31.jpeg I have 7 barred rocks about 4/5 months old. I have one who seems to have her laying down to a science. But the others not so much. Got 4 eggs for the first time today, but two were soft and one had some color irregularities. Any thoughts? It is the second time I have had the irregular colored egg.

Sure did both times the discoloration stayed
Since they are new layers you probably are seeing what is an equivalent to a glitch in the system. Some need time to get it all regulated. Sometimes it can take months but generally within that first month things become more regular. I'm actually surprised how many get it right from the start.

Since they are new layers you probably are seeing what is an equivalent to a glitch in the system. Some need time to get it all regulated. Sometimes it can take months but generally within that first month things become more regular. I'm actually surprised how many get it right from the start.
That’s what I thought but it’s nice to always have the experts give me advice. :)

Wash and put in the fridge, should be fine. Over time your pulleys/hens will improve. Every now and then I still get an egg that I shake my head at.... covered in poop and somehow not even close to the nesting box.

Sometimes it even takes longer. I have one that’s been laying since April but seldom got it right. Lots of soft eggs. It took a long time but she is now giving me a nice egg almost every day. Last year I had a Barred Rock that did the same thing. She eventually worked it out. Mix some oyster shell with their food and put some on the side too. Give her some time. I’ve experienced this often with new layers and they always seem to work it out.

Sometimes it even takes longer. I have one that’s been laying since April but seldom got it right. Lots of soft eggs. It took a long time but she is now giving me a nice egg almost every day. Last year I had a Barred Rock that did the same thing. She eventually worked it out. Mix some oyster shell with their food and put some on the side too. Give her some time. I’ve experienced this often with new layers and they always seem to work it out.
I was debating on adding the shells because the girls are free ranging during the day (with the exception of when we are away) and I read somewhere that they don’t need them if they free range. But I think i will grab some and offer some on the side for them. Thank you:thumbsup

Odd color.
Was it laid in a clean nest or out in range area?
Was pic taken before or after washing?
Looks like poop or mud stains.
Lain in a clean nest. So far the ones who are laying are going to the nest. With exception to the two newest layers who have taken to laying just outside of the box. Ha but so far those eggs are to soft for consumption, but it’s only day two for them.

Back
Top Bottom