Barred Rock Egg Size

Mirindaj

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2022
Hi there! I have 23 girls, 25 weeks old. About 1/2 are ISA BROWNS and 1/2 Barred Rocks. The Barred Rock eggs are quite a bit smaller than the ISA. Are they slower to increase in egg size? Don’t get me wrong I’m grateful for all the eggs, I just didn’t know why the ISA hens eggs are bigger faster. Thank you for your input in advance.

ISA's have been breed for a lot of eggs right a way. They will likely stop laying and start getting reproductive problems around three years. The Barred rocks will start slower but will keep you in eggs longer.

Hi there! I have 23 girls, 25 weeks old. About 1/2 are ISA BROWNS and 1/2 Barred Rocks. The Barred Rock eggs are quite a bit smaller than the ISA. Are they slower to increase in egg size? Don’t get me wrong I’m grateful for all the eggs, I just didn’t know why the ISA hens eggs are bigger faster. Thank you for your input in advance.
I have the exact same situation. 6 ISA Browns, 6 Barred Rocks. ISAs cranking out big dark brown eggs every day. Barred Rocks are laying every day but much smaller and lighter color. I sell eggs on the honor system out by the road and it's embarrassing to put out the little ones. I got them because I read they would lay large brown eggs, but this is really disappointing. I have had only ISA Browns in the past and they are laying machines. Big, dark and LOTS of them. My lovely wife thought it would be nice to have a variety, but when this batch is gone, it's back to only ISA Browns. I realize my "egg business" isn't going to make me rich, but it helps keep me off the streets and out of trouble. (But I am getting 11 or 12 eggs every day, so that's good.)

ISA's have been breed for a lot of eggs right a way. They will likely stop laying and start getting reproductive problems around three years. The Barred rocks will start slower but will keep you in eggs longer.
I am just really disappointed in the small size of the Barred Rock's eggs. My ISAs lay huge egg and hardly ever miss a day. I've measured some of Bertha's and she cranks out some 3" long and 2" wide. Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom