Barred Rock Egg Size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lunachick, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have two red sex links that lay huge brown eggs, one mille/bantam size chook that lays small cream colored eggs, and one LARGE barred rock that lays the smallest eggs of all of them.

Is this normal for her? I'm not complaining, after all, with smaller eggs, I think smaller problems (if I ever have any). Just curious...She just started laying five days ago, and she gave me five small eggs.

They are so teeny!

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

my BR's just started laying about a month ago and they started out very small. Now they have gotten a little bigger. Not as big as the grocery store eggs, but a least they are "growing", lol.

3. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two barred rocks and they are laying nearly jumbo sized eggs. They started laying em small but quickly got big.

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    So! It sounds like her eggs will eventually get bigger? Thanks for the input, we'll wait and see. She's such a sweetie if her eggs stay small, that's OK. [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I think it's also due to chicken anatomy! I've got a Wheaten Penedesenca that lays large-size eggs, and an Ameraucana that's almost double her size, that lays Peewee sized! And they've been laying over a month. I'm like you - it's okay either way, but kind of fascinating when I see them side by side!

6. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    My barred rocks seem to lay smaller eggs than my white rocks or my EE's. They are over a year old so I would think by now their eggs would be as big as they are going to get [​IMG] They are still tasty though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by