barred rock eggs?

ninabl

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
franklin ky
do these eggs all look the right color to be barred rock eggs? i wish i had a stor bought white one to put next to them to show the color. some of the eggs just look to white to me. the chickens were supose to be hatched from mc murry hatchary. they were about 5 months old when i got them. just wondering if i had a br cross or somthing else in my flock. thanks

71119_breggs.jpg

Nope, they don't look white. All shades of browns-your siggy line says you have 7 BR hens. Not all birds, even though they are the same breed, will lay the same shade of brown...none of mine do and they are not hatchery either...they look yummy too!

Yes, I am told barred rock eggs are pink to light brown. You've got a nice variety. I can't tell you this from experience. Our barred rocks are twenty weeks old, close to laying, but haven't laid. I leave the country in four days and am counting down. Bok.

You see this flat of eggs? Every one is a Barred Rock egg. The light ones all belonged to a friend's McMurray BR hens. The dark one in the middle belonged to my Lexie, a BR from Ideal. She laid a darker egg than any of my other BRs.

DCP_5237.jpg

This is also a BR egg from a daughter of one of the Ideal hens I had, so they do vary, but all are considered brown eggs:

DCP_4223.jpg

Quote:
Yeppers! My GB/GSL lays dark brown speckled eggs all the time (shes about 5 months), and my other GSL lays a lighter shade and no speckles (shes the same age). They will most likely lay a different shade.. Thats how I know who laid what egg!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom