barred rock girl just drops on ground and twitched and deaed ???

strangeanimal

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
Belgium
I've just been busy in the garden and all the chickens are when I do that usually coming home because they love it when I'm digging , my barred rock hen was just like the rest pecking in the ground and eating whatever kind of vegetable I didn't consider as big enough to let it grow , just like any other day in the yard , I did NOT give anything that is known to be poisenes or bad for a chicken ! suddenly just out the blue she falls on her side and started to get twitches really bad , I TRIED to safe her but once I had her in my arms she was already gone ??? just in a few minutes and gone ! she was not old nor sick so I don't have just a clue what could have caused this , any help welcome because the vet has checked 2 newbies and just a regular check on the existing flock and she was FINe ! this vet is a good vet so there is no doubt they are all healthy ; Can anyone help me finding out what exactly I did wrong ??, ty in advance

Sorry for your loss.Try asking your vet if he could preform a necropsy on her.If thats not possible contact your local necropsy lab.There could be a number of causes why she died.

It sounds like she died of a heart attack. Sometimes a perfectly healthy bird will just keel over one day for no reason. It happens, I don't think you did anything wrong.
A necropsy would probably give you a detailed look at exactly why it happened.
Sorry for your loss!

Hi ! I do thank you for the replies , it is indeed as both of you said , I've waited on the results from the practice ( it always takes up longer to have the results of bloodsamples etc. here in Europe since it goes to the facculty and it is there somewhat ' busy ' ) .
Just have the conclusive report of the necropsy and bloodsamples that were send and she was indeed ' healthy ' but yeah she is gone right . So what caused her to die ? there is nothing other besides the fact her heart failed but no direct reason why this happened , bloodsteal got a list of some levels too high but not enough to say she would have died on that so that conclusion is simply striked out , she had no injuries nor was there any other organ failure altough he did notice something else too , she could have gotten some breathing issues right before she had her heart stopping yet no sickness that could have caused this , he thinks the change of the temperature outside that day so suddenly could be a reason , it changed in fact ' dramaticly ' that day to quite some good high temperatures while the days before the weather was still kinda grey / wet and far from that temp but no real cause of death in fact other then ' heartfailure ' . Now I really liked this girl in fact but I was given the tip to have a tub inside the pen with undeep water in it ( just rainwater would be enough ? ) because the weatherchanges in belgium are to what I believe quite known ? one day it is freezing in the middle of spring , one day the sun shines as if we are at the top of summer and according to him she might have been lethargic a little bit because I did notice that day they seemed to be more slow and even some very lazy , the amount of dustbathing really got up then lol but that is the tricky thing about it now , they seemed to enjoy the weather so I really did not see that one coming and it just had to be her argh ! she was one of the most kind and gentle birds actually plus I was finally begun with a ' project ' in sexlinked crosses wherefor I needed some eggs from here since there are always a few broody hens now lately while a time ago I did already lose some of my hens during an attack of a predatory animal ( one broody became cannibalistic and even ate her clutch and any other egg she could find from the rest so had to cull her ) now things were going good again and I'm having some changes too , like the older hens now ( used to have a quite big flock ) are now getting ' rid off ' ( rehomed a few and few are meant now for meatbird , some have aged over the 6y so i think it is fair ) , now I do personally believe that the changes with some new hens that are way much younger are going to be a part of the reason why she had her heart failing , perhaps it caused her some stress as i noticed she lost quite some feathers too before she died and I just assumed she started to molt but don't know about that one for sure ...
Just a small note too : usually in the heat of summer they have a tub , but since the summer didn't start really yet I had the tub this time not in the yard yet , gonna make work of that already to make sure if the weather suddenly becomes that warm again they can just get in the tub . Thanks again for the replies and I'm sorry too especially because she had such young age but it happened and like above is written it indeed can happen unfurtunately :( , kind regards from out of Belgium

Back
Top Bottom